Prologue

It was another cold winter night, the streets of Small Heath quiet and empty

It was another cold winter night, the streets of Small Heath quiet and empty. The only sound heard were the quiet steps of a petite woman walking down the street.

Her long curly blonde hair blew in the direction of the wind, revealing her bright blue eyes that seemed to sparkle in the moonlight. Although it was cold out she wore a rather short pink dress that hugged her body in all the right places. The only thing protecting her from the cold winter breeze was a long black coat.

"Amelia." A deep raspy voice called out to her.

She smiled as she turned only to be met with a familiar pair of stormy blue eyes.

"Thomas." She grinned, looking up at the one and only Thomas Shelby.

"It's a bit late for you to be wandering these shitty streets isn't it?" His eyes never leaving hers.

"These streets aren't shitty Thomas, I actually find them comforting. It's only nine o'clock, I was heading over to the Garrison to get a drink. Care to join me?" Amelia smiled, her bright blue eyes looking up at Thomas excitedly.

"Hm." He hummed, lighting a cigarette and taking a long drag.

"If you won't accompany me I guess I'll find someone else to..." she sang tauntingly, knowing he'd cave in, she continued to walk.

"Amelia." He called out sternly, not following the bubbly blonde.

"Thomas." She replied, not stopping.

Suddenly another pair of footsteps were heard and in a second Thomas was walking alongside Amelia, hands in pockets and eyes glaring in front of them.

She smiled and turned to look at him as they walked in silence. Amelia and Thomas had been childhood friends ever since her family moved next door to the Shelby's. From being in diapers together up until the Shelby brothers were sent off to war, Amelia and Thomas were always together.

Amelia and Thomas had a very complicated and confusing relationship. Yet it was very simple to them both. They weren't a thing but they were a thing. They wanted to be together ever since they were children. Yet they weren't together.

All the men who asked her out never seemed to be able to make it to their date and those who did were immediately scared off by the men who followed them around (personal security, curtesy of the Peaky Blinders).

"Amelia?" Thomas suddenly asked, turning to her.

"Yes Thomas?" She grinned.

"Can you not stare at me while we walk?" He asked, a playful smirk slowly making its way to his lips.

"Does it make you nervous Mr.Shelby?" She asked, amused as his eyes widened a bit.

"You know what seeing you in that dress does to me Millie. So unless you want to end up in my bed by the end of the night, I suggest you stop staring at me with those eyes." He whispered into her ear, causing chills to run down her back.

"Haha." She said sarcastically, as they neared the bar.

Thomas smirked as he opened the door for her. As Amelia walked in he slapped her bum, trying not to make a scene she yelped quietly, turning to glare at him. He simply smirked, everyone nodded or bowed their head in respect to him.

As they sat at the bar, everyone watched as the two got comfortable. Slowly they all went back to drinking and what not, leaving the two to converse.

"Thank you Harry." Amelia grinned at the kind bartender.

"My pleasure Ms.Amelia." He smiled, going to attend others.

The two drank their whiskey, Thomas smoked a few cigarettes and soon enough the rest of the Shelby brothers had joined them.

"You sure are a sight for the sore eyes." Arthur said to Amelia who was laying her head on his chest.

"Oh my dear Arthur, you're such a sweetheart you know that?" She said drunkenly, placing a hand on his cheek.

"Oi, Tommy will have your heads on a golden platter by the morning if you two don't knock that off." John said, pointing at the two.

All three burst into a fit of giggles as Thomas made his way back from the restroom.

"What's all this?" He asked, glaring at the scene in front of him.

Amelia stood in between Arthur's legs, her back on his chest and Arthur's head resting on her shoulder.

"We're just having a little bit of fun is all." Arthur smiled at his younger brother.

"This'll be good." John whispered to Finn who was sitting drinking a juice of some sort.

"Alright let's go Millie." Thomas called, holding his hand out to her.

"Hm." She said, mimicking him as he had done earlier that night.

"Amelia." He called out again, his voice stern.

"Go on Millie." Arthur sighed, removing his head and arms from her.

"I'll see you boys later?" She asked, hugging them all goodbye.

They nodded as she stopped at Finn who gave her a goofy smile. She squatted down to his height, opening her arms to him. His grin grew wider as he wrapped his arms around her. She grinned and placed a few kisses on his head before letting him go.

"I've got a present for you. I'll give it to you tomorrow!" She smiled, ruffling his hair.

"See you tomorrow Mille!" They all called out as Thomas dragged her out.

"I'll see you tomorrow my boys!" She called out, waving at them.

Everyone stared as the grumpy Shelby stormed out with the beautiful blonde who had lit up the room in his arm. The boys all stared as their overly protective brother once again tried to keep the small girl all to himself as per usual.

Thomas and Amelia once again walked down the quiet streets of Small Heath side by side. Amelia staring at the man who claimed to love her and Thomas holding her hand, scared to loose the one person he cared most of.

As the two lovebirds made their way home, neither of them knew of the war brewing in their own backyard. The war that was sure to cause a few deaths, losses, and heartbreaks.