Chapter 16: Explosions

For the next few days Millie and Tommy were inseparable. From Millie being invited to go on business trips to having drinks at the Garrison, the two were like two peas in a pod.

Today John had called a family meeting at the Garrison so Millie and Tommy were on there way there. Millie greeted Harry who was cleaning the bar. Harry smiled, waving at the two.

As soon as the two walked into the room, everyone looked at them. All except for Arthur who was focused on the drink in front of him. Millie greeted everyone, sitting next to Arthur as Tommy chose to stand by the tiny door connecting the bar to the room.

"Morning Arthur." She smiled at him, taking off her hat.

"Millie." He nodded, not looking away from his cup.

"All right, john. There's only one... Not now. Only one man guarding the house." Tommy said, lighting a cigarette.

"What's troubling you?" Polly asked as everyone watched John fidget in his seat.

"Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died." John started.

"God takes the best first." Polly said softly, crossing herself and putting one of her hands on top of his shaking hand.

"The truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours." John said, a bit embarrassed.

"Pol, give him ten bob for some new shoes. Is that it, John?" Tommy said, shooing him off.

"Tommy, we'd be better to do this without you." Polly growled, glaring at Tommy

"Now, what's your point?" Polly asked John softly.

"What the kids need is a mother... So that's why I'm getting married." John said, looking up.

Millie caught his eyes, offering him a small smile. John nodded as Millie's smile reassured him and made him feel a bit better.

"Does this poor girl know you're gonna marry her or are you just gonna spring it on her all of the sudden?" Polly asked.

"I've already proposed. And she said yes." John stuttered a bit.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy joked, looking at John.

"It's, um, it's Lizzie Stark." John hesitated for a moment.

Millie's eyes widened as the room filled with laughs. Tommy looked at him as if he was joking, Arthur snickered, and Polly scoffed.

"John! Lizzie Stark's a strong woman, and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers." Polly said, trying to stifle her laughter.

"I won't hear the word! Understand? Do not use that word." John snapped, slamming his hands on the table.

"What word is that, John?" Tommy asked, amused.

"You know what word that is." John growled.

"Everybody bloody knows." Millie and Arthur said at the same time.

They both looked at one another for the first time today. Millie smiled at him before they turned to a flustered John.

"Everybody can go to hell!" John yelled, his face flushed.

"Whore? That word. Or prostitute? How about that one?"

"All right, I want it known, if anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back down into their hearts." John growled.

"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me. John, Lizzie Stark never did a day's work vertical." Polly said, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Millie couldn't help but feel bad for John who looked like he was genuinely upset.