Chapter 3: Church, Crying, and cheering up

Tommy was surprised the next morning when he woke up only to find Millie missing. Millie usually waited for Tommy to wake up so they could get dressed together then read the morning paper and have tea.

As he stretched and began to get dressed, he headed downstairs to find the house empty. He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked around and found Finn playing with the toys Millie had given him.

"Oi, where the bloody hell is Millie?" Tommy asked.

"She went to church with aunt Pol. Aunt Pol said to meet them there at 9:00." Finn shrugged, not paying much attention to the fuming Shelby.

Tommy grunted as he put on his peaked hat and walked over to the church. He opened the door to find both Millie and Polly sitting on a pew in front of the church.

Millie's long curly hair was pulled into a loose ponytail behind her back, Polly's curly hair was in its usual hair style. Both women didn't have to turn to know it was Tommy. They both already knew the sound of his steps. He stood next to them as they continued to look towards.

"I have ten minutes. What do you want?" Tommy asked.

"An explanation." Polly said firmly.

They stared at one another as Millie remained unbothered, the only people in the world who could cause Thomas Shelby to have a reaction were sitting in the empty church together.

"An explanation of what?" Tommy said, playing dumb.

"Of what's so secret." Polly said pausing.

She turned to look at Millie who was now looking at Tommy, Tommy looking back at her. It seemed as if both could communicate by just looking at one another.

"I've always been able to tell..." Polly continued.

"Tell what?" Tommy asked, interrupting her.

"When you're hiding something. People round here talk. Some of them work at the BSA. I've been talking to wives of factory hands. Detectives have been asking questions in the proofing shops." Tommy looked around at the church, internally fighting himself if he should or shouldn't inform them on what was happening.

"Nothing happens at the factory without you knowing about it. Speak. God and Aunt Polly are listening." Polly continued.

Thomas sighed as he looked at Millie once more. Her eyes were soft and made him feel as if everything could be okay. No, everything would be okay. Finally he began to speak in a soft voice.

"It was meant to be routine. I had a
buyer in London for some motorcycles. I asked my men to steal me four bikes with petrol engines. I'm guessing my men were drunk. There's a still inside the factory makes tram line gin... They picked up the wrong fucking crate..." he paused causing both Millie and Polly to furrow their eyebrows.

"So tell us Tom, what was in the crate?" Mille asked softly, Tommy nodded as he took a second before starting up again.

"The boys delivered it to Charlie's yard as agreed. Inside the crate we found twenty five Lewis machine guns with ten thousand rounds of ammunition. Fifty semi automatic rifles, two hundred pistols with shells..."

Both the women crossed themselves as they continued to hear what had happened.

"All bound for Libya. Sitting right there in Charlie Strong's yard." Tommy finally finished.

"Jesus Tommy. Tell me you threw them in the cut." Polly said, her voice stern but worried.

Tommy remained quiet, Millie staring at him praying he had thrown them out. Polly stared at both in horror, knowing a war would breakout at any moment if he hadn't.