Chapter 30: Beatings

Millie awoke to a pounding in her head. She let out a small groan when she opened her eyes to find a bright light hitting her straight in the face. She squirmed in Arthur's arms, trying her best to block out the light.

"Bloody hell." She groaned, squeezing her eyes shut and burrowing her face into his chest.

She felt a rumble in his chest as he let out a chuckle and tried to shield her from the light.

"I'm guessing the whiskey got to you." He laughed as she grumbled.

"Where are we?" She said barley above a whisper as he wrapped an unfamiliar blanket around her.

"We're at a hotel." He pulled the blanket over their heads.

"I can't remember a thing." She whispered, her previous tone too loud for her.

He tried his best to keep in the chuckle that threatened to leave his lips, watching as she squeezed her eyes shut.

"Move over." Her eyes suddenly snapped open.

"Pardon?" He furrowed his eyebrows, watching as she slapped a hand over her mouth.

"Arthur, move!" She squealed, ripping the blanket off both of them.

As he went to swing his legs over the edge of the bed, she jumped over him and stood up, looking around.

"The toilet is over there." Arthur said, standing to help her.

Before her brain could process what he was saying, she grabbed a bin from beside the bed and spilled the contents of her stomach in it. As her stomach wretched and gags filled the room, Arthur took her hair in his hand and head it back.

He rubbed and patted her back, cooing comforting words to her. When she finally finished, her face glowed bright pink.

"Are you alright?" Arthur took the can from her, putting it in the hallway.

"What was in the drink?" She asked, her head spinning as she struggled to stand.

"I've got you love." Arthur scooped her into his arms.

"I don't feel well." She whispered, her vision blurring.

"What's wrong? Did you have something else when I went to bed?" He asked, gently placing her on the bed.

"N-no." She mumbled, her body beginning to ache.

"Stay here, I'm going to get the boys." Arthur said softly, gently wrapping her in the blanket from before.

Millie felt her head spin as she tried to talk. When she couldn't speak, Arthur ran out the door and across the hallway. As he went to knock on the door, the door swung open.

"Bloody hell Arthur, I think Tom's dying!" John said frantically.

"What?" Arthur questioned, pushing past his panicked brother.

He rolled his eyes when he saw Tommy sitting at the corner of a bed, putting on his shoes.

"How the fuck is he dying?" Arthur turned to John who was still freaked out.

"He threw up." John peered around Arthur's shoulder, trying to get a look at Tommy.

"I had tea with Millie last night, the milk was probably bad. I'm not dying." Tommy finished tying his shoes, glaring at John.

"You kill people for a living but can't stand the sight of spit up, come on John boy." Arthur shook his head.

"It's fucking disgusting." John shuttered, turning so he wouldn't look at Tommy.