CHAPTER SIXTEEN

When they got to the fifth floor, Peter said goodbye to Ned went to programming, and Peter went to biology classes.  Today there was a lecture by Professor Connors on arachnids, one of thirteen that the man personally read and the brown-haired man did not want to miss it, despite the fact that he was sleepy and terribly sleepy.  As soon as the guy pushed the door of Dr. Connors' personal office, he found himself in a very difficult situation - apart from the professor himself, Romanoff and Barton were sitting in the office, talking about something with the evil Kurt, while they spoke in Russian, which strained the guy.  Officially, he did not understand anything, but thanks to Wade and Elektra, the young man managed to learn all seven international languages.

"Mr. Connors, think again," Burton said softly, sitting across from the one-armed professor and staring at the back of his head as the man surveyed the view outside the window.  "With your strength and knowledge, you could achieve much more than just teaching!"

"And how much has S.H.I.E.L.D achieved? Particularly in the defense of New York," Kurt said dismissively.  The office door was well oiled so no one could hear as both Fury operatives were engrossed in conversation.  "When our city most needed protection, your comrades only came up with a hat-check! Why didn't you intervene in the course of the battle at the very beginning, when it was possible to save those innocents who died at the hands of mercenaries, bandits and corporants?"

"I understand your indignation, Kurt," Natasha said in a quiet, chesty voice, trying to set the man up for a conversation, and not a showdown.  "But we are an organization subordinate to the UN, and we have the right to act on the territory of any country only with the consent of the government. And it was silent."

"Then why the hell is your fortress constantly hanging over New York?"  Connors could not stand it, getting up from his chair and going to the window.  It was at that moment, as if by order, the contours of the Hellicarrier, hanging over the city, appeared in the sky.  "This city hoped for you, it needed you, and you and Nicholas simply ignored it! They left it to their own devices, conducting some of their own experiments, raking in the heat with the wrong hands. If you had helped us then, if I had seen the benefit of that  whatever you do, I would help you. Well, my answer is no."

"You don't understand, professor," Barton continued, "this is not just about the United States, it's about the whole world! If you don't help us, a huge number of innocent people will suffer!"

"Where were they when we suffered?"  Kurt said softly, clenching his fist.  "My first teacher, who taught at our school in Louisiana, said that there are no innocent people. And I tend to agree with him, Mr. Burton. I will protect only this city with my knowledge, and the rest of the world can burn with a blue flame."

"Let's get out of here, Clint," the red-haired spy said softly, turning around to see Peter in front of her.  The dilated pupils showed that the girl recognized the guy, and he, only slightly smiling, shrugged his shoulders.  "Hey, hunk. Haven't you been told it's not good to eavesdrop?"

"Peter," turning around, Kurt frowned at the guy, to which he shrugged and took out a folder from his briefcase and threw it on the man's desk.  The paper glided beautifully into the tree, drawing the attention of both S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives.  "Miss Romanoff, Mr. Barton, I have to end our conversation, now we have a lecture that I would not like to miss."

"Oh, milady, how did you piss off my teacher that he now resembles a green man?"  smiling, the guy asked.  "Usually the professor is always quiet, kind and melancholy, and does not burn with anger. Or did they also hit him with a ball in the balloons?"

"No, I rarely do this," laughing, Natasha held out her hand to the guy.  "My name is Natasha, by the way. Otherwise, we never met."

"Peter," the guy introduced himself, bending his back slightly in a bow and kissing the hand, in the manner of the aristocrats of Europe.  Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed the genuine surprise of Burton and Connors, and if the first was simply surprised that some student knew his partner, then Kurt was shocked by the behavior of the guy.  Smiling, he gave the thumbs up as if praising the boy.  "Did you at least make it to that urgent meeting that was suddenly scheduled?"

"Oh, yes," Romanoff, slightly embarrassed, tried to figure out what was wrong with her.  Many rich and eminent people put their lips to the back of her hand, but only in this case, she felt a slight languor in her body, which was clearly not going to disappear.  Moreover, she understood that this guy clearly hooked her.  "I... I think we should go. We have some urgent business," blushing slightly with embarrassment, the girl immediately dragged her surprised, if not shocked partner out of the office.  "I... if anything, I go to that shop every evening. Come by."

"Definitely," the guy smiled, not noticing that a happy smile was spreading on his face, which had not been seen for a long time, and his eyes were shining.  It was somehow easy in the chest that all the problems were forgotten, and only Kurt's slight cough could return him to the sinful earth.  "Um... Excuse me, professor. I..."

"It's all right, Peter," Connors said with a laugh.  "You have nothing to apologize for, I really want you to be happy. And Natasha is a good girl, you really should know that she doesn't have the safest job with National Security. So, be careful."

"Like I'm going to seek her out," Parker said with a snort, blushing with embarrassment, and left the office.  The guy again returned to the thoughts of the red-haired spy, as he could not understand what was happening to him when she was around.  Even with Gwen it wasn't like that, although the blonde had a very strong influence on Parker.