Chapter 5: Bestie

A/n: This is a new chapter that I have added to the book. The storyline is the same, I'm just filling in some gaps and catching up on things that should have been addressed. Happy reading.

"...soul mates come in the form of friends too... it's not always about romance..."

Tony's POV
In my experience, there is no perfect family.

In my experience, there are families that have fallen below the line of what we expect an imperfect family to be like. I'm not talking about squabbles and disagreements that get solved. I'm talking about full on dysfunctional perfection.

The trophy for dysfunctional perfection goes to the Harringtons. This family can pull off perfect like nothing I have ever seen. Francis Harrington -the industrious family man who happens to have more layers to his personality than what meets the eyes- comes off collected and charming even. The charitable wife, Freya Harrington is nice but there is so much grief behind her smiles and in her eyes. They do say that the eyes are the windows to the soul... Then there is the overcompetitive Coleen Harrington. Anything her twin can do, she has to do ten times better. She lives for her father's approval. Lastly, Cole Michael, one of my closest friends. He is passive aggressive. He never speaks his mind and he has this idea that he must always be perfect. Put together, the Harringtons are picture perfect but as flawed as they come.

The St Patricks are somewhat normal. Somewhat, at least at first glance. The Colonel, Christopher St Patrick, is a fun loving guy. He is the easiest going dad out there. He is a great compliment to uptight Courtney whose looks can kill. If Bruce is to be asked which one of his parents he fears, he would say Courtney. I can bet my car collection on it. Bruce is not like his dad, probably more like his mother and very absent from every other scene. It is not unusual to spot the St Patricks out and about as individuals opposed to the Harringtons who make sure they are always together. The St Patricks care little about portraying a picture perfect family or even a family for that matter.

The Bellingerres -the family I identify with- is a little like the St Patricks only that we have a flare for not giving a fuck about image. You either love us or you don't and we do not apologize for it. Our father, Wayne Bellingerre, takes the award for 'father of the year'. He is still a playboy at his age. My siblings and I don't share the same mother. We fight like cats, hold eternal grudges and live to blackmail the shit out of each other.

This finally brings me to the Balotelli-Bale family. To start with the Bales, Helena to be particular, is the most scariest person I have ever had to deal with. She is cut throat. She will say whatever needs to be said as bluntly as possible. She raised Nick, that should speak volumes. The retired Navy Admiral, who happens to be Nick's father is just like Helena. No explanation needed. Then there is my grandfather, Don Giovanni Balotelli. He has a well balanced personality and by far makes my list of favorite people. It is a short list. My mother is also on that list. She is on a different list where Nick is concerned. I love my mother dearly. Nick loves her too but in a twisted hateful way. The feeling must be mutual between them. I still would like to see them get along.

That brings me to the deal I made with him. He gets time with another man's wife and I get a shot at fixing his relationship with our mother. Twisted shit. How can I go along with this? Letting him pursue an affair and he's married? Well, I hate Margaux. I will wear a red suit to her bloody funeral. I also want to fix Nick and our mother. It's long over due.

"Jason, right? Jason Burke?" I approached the man seated in the alfresco restaurant.

"Marc Anthony Bellingerre!" He exclaimed with a smile. He stood up to shake my hand. "Join me. Please."