Chapter 45: Red on Blue

"... unsuspecting fish get caught on the hook..."

Keira's POV
I haven't been out on my own for quite some time. Part of me feels scared to be out here. I have been sitting in my father's old truck wondering whether to enter the hotel or leave.

I am not shy. It's mostly thought so but I am not shy. Reserved, a little. Outgoing, not so much. Am I people person? Not really. But I also hate to be alone sometimes. But none if those things are the reason why I seem to be glued to my seat. It has a lot to do with Nick's wife telling the whole of New York that I am a homewrecker and the host if the show calling all wives to beware of me.

I'm not on a husband stealing spree.

The first time I met Nick, I did not think "Oh boy! How will I were k his marriage?" That thought did not cross my mind, not even remotely. He planted the idea in my heart. My stupid heart fell for him. I didn't think it through and even if I did, he demanded and I submitted. Then he has backed away and I'm the one carrying the reproach of our affair.

I decided to just do it. Unless I move to another state, I have to go into shops. I have to do it without wearing sunglasses and a hoodie. I had to do that to buy the tests because I was ashamed of being recognized.

"All you have to do is cross the street, ask for Theo at the reception and proceed up. Simple. No eye contact and don't talk to anyone. Simple."

Simple?

Hell no!

Still, I am the daughter of a naval officer and I have to be brave. I am allowed to be scared but not to be a coward. That is what daddy would say.

I got out of the old truck and banged the door shut. A few people looked my way but I put on my sunglasses, kept my head down and crossed the street quickly. I walked into the hotel and made my way straight to the lobby.

"Good afternoon." I greeted the man.

"Good afternoon. How can I assist you?"

"I'm here to see Theo Sinclair."

"Name?"

I want to lie. I badly want to lie but how will Theo know it's me?

"Let me call him and then he can call you. Excuse me." I stepped aside to make the phone call.

We spoke at length last night. He indulged me fully. He is a great listener. Unlike Nick, he doesn't dish out solutions. He just listens. I felt unburdened after we were done. I wished him a good night and he said he's looking forward to seeing me.

He is not answering his phone.

We agreed to 2pm in the afternoon. It's 1:55pm. I guess I'll have to tell the man my name.

"Are you ready to tell me your name?" He smiled at me.

Perhaps he can't recognize me. Maybe I'm being paranoid. Maybe no one recognizes me. I took off my sunglasses and smiled at him. He returned my anime warmly. "Keira Ballard."

"Keira Ballard." He repeated and picked up the phone.

There are two women on my left, staring at me. Their stares look hostile. "I'm calling for Monsieur Sinclair. He has a guest, a Miss Keira Ballard... I see. All right." He hanged up. "Penthouse suite. It's the top most floor."

He allowed me through to the elevators. I turned to see those two women still staring at me. I think they recognize me. I felt relieved to get into the elevator and to be free from them.

The floor has two doors. I walked towards the one with two men speaking French. They stopped talking when I stopped close by. ",I'm sorry to bother you but is Theo here?"