Chapter 49: Sacrifices Part 2

"...making something a priority doesn't mean
the other things are not important. It means that some things are more important than others..."

Nick's POV
There are people I can disappoint and not be bothered. My grandfather is not one of those people.

They have moved into my house. Only Helena decided to stay in a hotel. She likes her personal spaces. But Gio, my father and mother have made themselves at home. I haven't had a drink for a few days. I can't with my father around.

"Nonno." I approached him with a little hesitance. He stared at me with a cold expression on his face. His warm brown eyes have lost that warmth that endears even strangers to him. "Do you have a minute to talk?"

He pointed to the spot next to him. He switched off the TV.

"At least you don't smell like a whiskey bottle."

"There's no alcohol in the house and the Admiral won't let me leave."

"Nathan runs a tight family. He needs to be firm with a wayward woman like Marianna and a devious son like you."

"How upset with me are you?"

"Very. But also equally disappointed bambino. The alcohol will ruin your life. There are no answers at the bottom of the bottle. You get high, it wears off, you wake up and the problems are waiting for you. Why are you drinking like this?"

"I don't know what to say to you. The alcohol makes me feel better. I'm not able to think when I'm high."

"Is this because Helena fired you?"

"Ever since I was old enough she started grooming me to take over from her. She took me to board meetings. She have me reports to read. She took me to oil rigs and eventually when she trusted me enough she let me run the company. While my friends partied all summer, I was bursting my ass at Bale Industries. I worked hard and she put me out like trash. So yeah. I haven't gotten over it. I don't think it will."

"You worked hard. That's true. But the key word is that she trusted you. Trust figlio mio. Do you really grasp the meaning of that part? How do you think the company would be fairing if she didn't fire you? You're name is being thrown around a murder investigation. How would that affect the company?"

"I see your point."

"Good. Then you understand she's a woman with foresight. She anticipates her moves several steps ahead and she saw some version of this. She did the right thing for her company. She was not emotional about it. What you are doing however, is being emotional about this!"

"You're right."

He rubbed his chin. "Maddie is a little sad. She asked me what the news mean. She wanted to understand. It seems she had a soft spot for Keira. Even I pity the woman. I dint think she can harm anyone. But the reality is that you two had an affair and it became public. It marred both of your reputations. This situation paints you in a bad light Nicko. You need to remember that you are a father above everything else. Your child comes before your personal needs."

"Where is this going?"

"You need to cut Keira off."

I am trying to do that but I keep getting drawn back to her.

"I already told her we need space from each other."

"You need to tell her it's over. Not space Nicko, end it. End it completely and focus on rehabilitating yourself to get better and be a father to your daughter. Sobriety and fatherhood should be the only things on your plate. When you are stable, only then can you indulge in a woman. Do you understand?"