Chapter 36: A Man's World

"...the patriarchy is not a man.
It's a system that can be supported
by both men and women..."

Detective Rowland's POV
I spent a lot of time compiling a case against Nickolas Bale and it was thrown out that fast! He didn't even spend the night in the cell. He was released and the Chief says that I need to back off.

I can't back off.

Nickolas Bale should serve as the poster boy for rich men who think they can get away with crime. That is still my ambition, to put him where he belongs.

"Detective, delivery." The whole room broke into mocking sounds as an officer placed a bouquet of pink roses in front of me.

"It can't be for me."

"It is." She insisted and showed me the card.

"Who are they from?" Fitz and another officer leaned over me as I opened the card.

Timmy!
I'm really flattered by your
obsession with me.
However, I'm afraid I'll have to turn you down.
You're not my type.
Nick.

"Now that is what I call balls of brass! This guy is not scared of you!" The officer with Fitz noted.

I glared at the pink roses. I don't think I have ever afforded to buy my wife this size of a bouquet. He is purposely provoking me.  I grabbed them by the stem and slammed them repeatedly on the table, watching them break and the pink petals flying all over the place. I only stopped taking my rage out of them when I realized the room is silent and not because they are observing my rage but because there's a beautiful woman in tbe room.

Keira Burke takes great photographs but they don't do justice to her actual appearance. She's beautiful! She approaches me, accompanied by a man. It seems she has many of those around her.

"Detective Tim Rowland?" She asked me.

"Mrs Burke."

"I prefer Keira. Please." She frowned.

She's not wearing a wedding ring. This story is so obvious. A husband suffocating in his marriage and a wife suffocating in her marriage.

"Keira." I shook her hand. I glanced at the man next to her. "You are?"

"Nobody."

His stance, appearance and mannerism tells me he's probably military. I don't think I know him.

"Well, Keira..."

"We should talk." She looked around at the eyes paying attention to her. "Privately."

This should be interesting.

Keira's POV
My grandmother used to tell Keith and I that it is important to always do the right thing even if it goes beyond comfort levels.

One of the reasons I have never told people that Jason was beating me up is because I was worried about how people would look at me after that.

From a very early age, my mother exposed me to the limelight. I'm not shy. I'm reserved but not shy. Being a model from early on on childhood forced me into something beyond my comfort zone. I did it for her and it involved a lot of fake. I developed a bad habit to smile through anything. I learned to be detached from my feelings. I learned to act and unfortunately, those early life lessons have stick with me. It was easier to not say anything about Jason. I pulled it of for four years.