Chapter 15

January, 2022

"Lisa, you better answer this door." Jennie is pounding on her front door, shouting through the wood but she refuses to open it.

The blonde bites her bottom lip as she stares at her front door, two feet away from it. Jennie could just come in, she has a key, and Lisa's not entirely sure why she's bothering to knock. She shouldn't be knocking and now that Lisa has gone and kissed her when she was drunk she's suddenly knocking and it's not right.

She steps forward and presses her hand against the metal of the handle. "I know you're in there, your car is still here." Jennie sounds upset, really upset and Lisa wonders if she really did cross a line she didn't mean too. She wanted to do it right, of course she had planned to use her words first but that's just not how it happened.

Emotion led her and that was her first mistake. "Why are you knocking?" Her voice shakes and she silently curses herself for sounding so weak and scared.

"Because I'm respecting your boundaries asshole, but you haven't called me in two weeks." Lisa's heart sinks, biting her lips again she grips the door handle more tightly.

"You haven't called me either." She offers up in some kind of misguided protest. She doesn't really know why she's bothering to protest, or what she's even protesting for. She just wants Jennie to know how she feels, she just has no idea how to show her or tell her. Kissing her when she was drunk isn't right or enough to explain it and now everything is a mess.

"Lisa, open the door." The blonde takes in a deep breath and lets it out slowly; unlocking the door and pulling it open so she can see a shivering brunette in front of her.

Her instinct is to reach out and pull her in, to focus on getting her warm but she manages to hold back the urge, instead stepping aside. "Should have used your key." She mumbles quietly as Jennie passes the threshold.

"Shut up." Jennie shuts the door and turns toward Lisa with a raised eyebrow, eyes moving from her own to her lip and back to her own. She remembers and Lisa's stomach is in knots at the thought. "What the hell?"

Lisa leans against the wall. "What?"

"I can give you space you know, but you have to ask for it. Not calling me or answering my texts, you can't do that." Jennie is furious with her, maybe she has the right to be but Lisa didn't know what to do. She should have called, but maybe Jennie should have called too and now everything's not right and she should have never kissed her without talking first.

"Jennie, I-"

"You're my best friend before we're anything else, do you understand that?" Jennie steps closer, into her space and Lisa's breath catches, eyes attaching to soft lips and the distant taste of Jennie is on her tongue.

She aches to lean forward and capture her mouth again but getting yelled at by your best friend in your own hallway after you've clearly upset her is not the time for something like that. She's upset, and kissing her won't stop that.

"I'm sorry I was-"

"No. I'm not done... sorry." Jennie steps into her space and Lisa can't breathe. The smell of her takes over her senses. "I've been patient and I've waited and waited and I'll wait and wait but you kissed me." Jennie's hand reaches up and her fingertips brush against Lisa's cheek, the blonde melts into her touch. "You kissed me and it somehow still feels like I'm waiting." Jennie's voice cracks and Lisa's heart crumbles.

She wants to kiss her again and tell her she doesn't have to wait anymore, to get it all out and be honest but the lump in her throat stops her from talking. She's upset her. "Jennie,"