𝟏.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Katherine sat in the passengers seat of the Camaro, her head leaning against the window as her and her siblings went to school.

New town. A fresh start.

Maybe this time it could be better.

"Can't believe this is where we live now."

Katherine looked at Billy, the boy driving having a sneer on his face as his hands gripped angrily at the steering wheel.

"What a shithole." Billy shook his head.

Katherine let out a quiet sigh, look back out the window.

It won't be better.

Not with Billy and her father.

Nothing's gonna change. Nothing good will come from this town.

"I know. I know." Steve sighed.

Nancy gave him a sympathetic look seeing his F in French. "Sorry Steve, why did you pick French as your language?"

"You know! Cause it... it's the language of love!" Steve defended, then rolling his eyes at himself, "I'm such an idiot. Spanish was the safer option my father was right. Now not only can I not speak French but I'm also failing the class. The only class left I need to graduate!"

"I'm sure you'll figure it out." Nancy reassured him, "Have you tried getting a tutor?"

"Tutors are for losers." Steve muttered.

"No, they aren't." Nancy told him, "If it helps you graduate, then you should it!"

Steve looked at her, debating, "Just give it a try?" Nancy suggested.

He ran a hand through his hair, letting out a huff, "Fine." He replied.

Steve and Nancy looked, getting out the car with furred eyebrows; watching with interest.

Suddenly the roaring of a unfamiliar engine came swerving into the parking lot.

Steve and Nancy looked, getting out the car with furred eyebrows; watching with interest.

Everyone looked at blue Chevrolet Camaro come driving in. It had license plate that said California, which confirmed that they were new.

Billy was the first to get out of the car, taking a puff of his cig. He looked around at the new school as everyone else watched.

Nancy saw another person leave the car from the backseat. It was a younger girl who had fiery red hair and a skateboard in her hand.

The girl immediately skated away, the boy still scanning the area.

The boy then spoke into the car, Nancy and Steve not hearing due to distance.

Steve then noticed the passenger door open, a girl standing up as she got out.

He felt his heart skip, watched the girl put a cig behind her ear, closing the door after doing so.

She had golden hair, just like the boy who stood opposite of her. She had a tall frame, which looked nice against the length of her hair; which reached down to the end of her back.

Katherine sighed, looking around. Her eyes caught Steve's for a moment, but she continued to look around unphased.

"Let's go Kat." Katherine rolled her eyes. She hated that nickname. The only reason why was it was given to her by her mother, who left; and then was carried on my her father and brother.