𝟗.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Katherine button up the top part of her dress, then flattening the bottom slightly.

She looked in the mirror, putting her small earrings in. As she did,l someone knocked on her door.

She looked, "Hey Max what's up?"

"My mom- she," Max started, "She won't do my hair right. The way I want it."

Katherine smiled lightly, "Is there anyway you can do it?" Max asked.

The older girl nodded, Max sighing in relief. She sat down in front of the mirror, Katherine grabbing a brush and starting her hair.

"Mom wanted a bun, and then pig tails." Max complained. "Pig tails!"

Katherine chuckled, "Don't worry I'm promise not to put you in pig tails."

Kit started braided a piece of her hair, "Is there... anyone you're trying to impress tonight?" She asked Max with a small smile.

Max glared at her, "Maybe."

Katherine smirked, "Don't worry. I bet Lucas is in front of his mirror right now trying to figure out how to even talk to you tonight."

"You think?" Max asked with hopeful eyes.

"Seriously? He's been drooling over you since we came to Hawkins." Katherine said, "He's definitely gonna try to dance with you tonight."

Max smiled lightly, "You know, I'm not the only that's catching the attention of boys."

Katherine furred her eyebrows. "Steve?" Max said.

The older girl scoffed, "Steve is my friend."

"A friend that disgustingly in love with you." Max muttered.

"He's not in love with me!" Katherine denied.

Max smirked, shrugged. "Do you like him?" She asked.

Katherine glared at her, making Max laugh.

As Max laughed, Katherine saw someone out of the corner of her eye.

She looked seeing Billy walking past the doorway. He halted seeing them.

A flash of regret flew through Billy's eyes seeing Kit. Katherine smile faded. All she could think about when looking at him was that night.

He had never hit her.

He had promised that he never would.

She then took notice of what hung around his neck. A wave of emotion pushed through her seeing the shell necklace.

The same one she wore. He still had it.

Billy nodding lightly at them, walking off into his room.

Katherine looked back at Max in the mirror, "Here." She finished, placing her hair in front of Max's shoulders. "What do you think?"

Max looked at the two little braids that crowned her head, her rest of hair resting naturally on her shoulders.

"I love it." Max smiled. "It suits me better than pig tails."

Katherine laughed, "I sure hope so."

After awhile Susan brought both of them to the snowball. Katherine had volunteer to work there, giving the kids pamphlets.

Steve pulled up to the dance with Dustin. "All right buddy, here we are." He said, noticing Dustin's panicked state. "So remember, one you get in there-,"