𝟒.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

"Oh shit." Steve muttered, "My car's outside."

Katherine quickly grabbed Steve's arm, pulling him towards the window. Steve's eyes widened, his heart jumping at her touch.

"Wait, where are we going?" Steve asked quickly.

"Out the window!" She whispered yelled.

"We're on the second floor!" Steve exclaimed.

She quickly climbed out of the window, looking at Steve with her hand out, "Do you trust me?" She asked.

Steve glanced at the door, before nodding and taking her hand. She led him out onto the roof, both of them hiding right outside of the window.

Suddenly they heard her door open, Katherine's hand latching tightly onto Steve's in response. Steve looked down at their hands, gulping down whatever emotion was stirring in his stomach.

They stood right outside, listening for Billy. Suddenly the cassette that was playing came to a crashing stop. Steve glanced at Katherine in confusion, seeing the girl flinching as the song stopped.

They then heard the door to her room slam close, and the door to Billy's room opening and closing harshly.

"Come on." She whispered, walking on the roof towards the backyard.

Steve followed her confused, "Look." She whispered, pointing. Steve followed her stare, seeing the water pipe.

She went to the water pipe, getting a good grip on it before starting to climb down. She jumped the last couple of feet, looking around before gesturing to Steve to follow.

He went down the same way, except he slipped the last couple of steps. Katherine helped him get his footing on the ground.

Stve smiled awkwardly, "Real stealthy Harrington." She whispered.

He shrugged, "Like a ninja."

She chuckled, looking around, "So, uh- what did you come here for?"

Steve's eyes widened realizing they didn't even get to that yet.

"Oh, I just- saw you weren't in school today. And I knew we had our session today, so- just wanted to make sure you were okay." He said, his hands awkwardly finding there way into his Jean pockets.

"You were worried about me cause I missed one day of school?" She asked.

Steve nodded, realizing how idiotic he sounded. "Yep.
Sounds about right."

She smiled, her heart skipping a bit. She let out a breath, "I just- it's annoying to cover this-," She gestured to her jaw. "And didn't really have to energy
for school so I just skipped."

He glanced at her bruises, "Does that happen often?" He asked quietly. He then realized he could've been overstepping the line asking, "You don't have answer! I mean- I don't need to-,"

"Steve," She stopped him.

"Sorry." He replied.

She inhaled deeply, "I try avoiding any interaction with my dad. With my entire family basically. Avoids stuff like this. But sometimes, it just- happens."