𝟓.

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

They finally arrived to the junk yard, looking around at the dump.

"Oh yeah. Yeah. This will do." Steve stated, taking off his sunglasses. "This will do just fine. Good call dude."

They continued to throw meat chunks onto the ground for Dart. They then poured the remaining into a pile.

"I said medium- well!"

They looked seeing Lucas waving with grin, Max right next to him.

"Who's that?" Steve asked.

"Max?" Kit spoke up with furred eyebrows.

"Katherine?" Max asked questioned seeing the girl. "What are you doing here?"

Kit looked between Dustin and Steve, "It's a-," She sighed, "long story."

Soon enough, Lucas and Dustin were arguing while Steve, Max and Katherine got everything ready.

Max threw an abandoned piece of wood into a pile, Steve doing the same as Katherine organized a couple feet away.

"So," Max spoke up, catching Steve's attention, "You're the guy she's tutoring?"

"Uh- yeah- yeah." Steve replied, making Max nod. "W-why- why do you ask?"

Max shrugged, "Your just- you're the reason she's acting different." Steve furred his eyebrows, "She's a lot happier now."

This made Steve's shoulders relax, and made his lips flicker up slightly in a smile.

Then everyone was working, setting everything up. Placing tin pieces into piles, getting the abandoned bus ready to be their place of protection.

Katherine poured gasoline on the meat and all around the place until it reached the bus.

Once the sun was setting they went into the bus, Steve closing it once they were all in.

And then sun finally set, and they could only hear the sounds for crickets.

She sat next to Steve, her fiddling with her necklace. Steve looked at her noticing how she seemed to be nervous. Who could blame her though?

"So uh-," Steve spoke up, her looking at him. "Sorry about your cassette."

She sighed, "Nothing new. That's the 5th time that songs been broken."

Steve's eyes widened, "Billy hates Elvis that much?"

"Not Elvis as much as Suspicious Minds." She replied. Steve continued to stare at her confused. "Our mom played it. A lot. It kinda was a family song."

"Oh- Katherine-,"

"No- it's fine. I still like listening to it." She smiled lightly. "I try about the good memories from her. Billy only thinks of the bad."

Steve smiled sympathetically. "So what-," He moved closer to her, "What other type of music do you listen too?"

She glanced at the emergency roof hatch that Lucas sat at, thinking about it. "I- I guess the basics really. You know? David Bowie, Elton, Queen. I'm a big fan of Bob Seger."

Steve looked at her in excitement, "Bob Seger?" He asked.

"Yeah." She chuckled, "You like him?"