Always And Forever... I Guess?

Hope's P.O.V.

After sharing everything about my past and life with Rick, he left the room in silence. I got up and walked to Carl's room. As I entered, I saw him lying there with a white bandage around his eye, looking peaceful. I sat next to him, taking his hand in mine. A tear fell, and I took a deep breath.

“After my parents’ and uncle’s deaths, I thought my family’s vow was broken. I thought ‘Always and Forever’ was meaningless since there was no one to share it with. But I was wrong. The whole point is to find the person you want to share it with. So here it is. I don’t regret losing my mortal life for you. I’d do it again if I had to. I will always be there for you. For ‘Always and Forever.’”

Another tear slid down my cheek. I quickly let go of Carl’s hand and wiped it away. I glanced at my wet hand and hurried outside. Rick stood a few feet away from the door. I walked past him, but he stopped me.

“You and Carl... you have a thing or something?” Rick asked.

“I don’t have things,” I replied abruptly before running off. I made my way to the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror.

What the hell did I just do? Am I falling for Carl? And I declared my family’s vow to him. But no, I can't take it back. Well, he probably didn’t hear me, so problem solved. But why is this happening? My mother once told me that as a vampire, her emotions were heightened. I guess that’s what’s going on now. Yes, definitely. That must be the reason.

Now, I’ll wait until Carl wakes up to tell him the truth. He needs to know I can’t stay here much longer. He needs to know that my hypothesis worked and that I can go back home. Back to my family. I looked at myself in the mirror. God, I look awful. I need a shower.

I went home and took a cold shower. I don’t know why, but I just like it.

Rick's P.O.V.

I sat next to Carl, replaying Hope’s words in my mind: ‘Always and Forever.’ What a vow. Then I saw Carl slowly open his eye. He looked at me.

“Dad? What happened?” Carl asked.

I smiled, tears slipping down my cheeks.

“Where’s Hope?” Carl asked.

“She’s fine,” I said.

It was clear these kids cared deeply for each other.

“Hope saved you. She gave her mortal life for you,” I told him.

“Really? Wait... you know?” Carl asked.

I nodded. Hope had told me that Carl already knew.

“Tell her thank you,” Carl said.

I laughed and hugged my son.

Hope's P.O.V.

I had stayed in my house for the past few days, not wanting to leave. I kept myself locked up. I only went out once for food—hunting, that is.

I heard someone approaching my door and opened it before they could knock.

“Carl! You’re awake and out of bed!” I exclaimed, hugging him.

“Yeah, I woke up a couple of days ago. I was disappointed you weren’t there,” Carl said.

I stepped outside, closed the door behind me, and we walked toward the first street we saw.

“I couldn’t see you like that. Besides, I needed some time alone... to think,” I said.

“Um, Hope, my dad told me... you gave up your mortality for me,” Carl said.

“Carl—” I started to say, but he pulled me into a kiss. I closed my eyes and responded, but when he pulled away, I looked at him, wide-eyed.

“I’m sorry, I have to—” I said, before running away, shocked. After running for a while, I found myself outside Alexandria, sitting on a log.

Why did I do that? I’m supposed to go back to Mystic Falls. I can’t be falling for Carl. Or can I? Stop it, stupid voice! You talk at the most irrelevant times. When I ask a question like what we had for history today, you don’t respond, but now you know everything! That’s because I’m the voice behind the emotional part of you. Oh, just stop it.

Don’t forget, I’m wise. Yeah right. Hope, who is wiser? The wise person or the person who asks the question?

I say the person who asks the question. Wrong, it’s the wise person. That’s why it’s called wise. You know how I know it? That’s because I’m wise. Didn’t you have anything smarter to say? I just did. Okay, that’s it. Shut up! My head is a real mess.

I heard a noise behind me and turned to see Carl.

“It took me long enough to find you,” Carl said.

“Listen, Carl, I... I found the spell to get back home,” I said.

Carl tilted his head, confused.

“I finally found a way to get back and see my family again. My friends. When I was shot, walkers gathered around me. So I took the chance and cast the spell on one of them. And it disappeared. It worked. It really worked,” I explained.

“Is that what you want?” Carl asked.

I nodded.

“Is that what you really want?” he pressed.

I nodded again.

“Fine,” Carl said, turning around to leave.

“Carl, wait...” I called, but I didn’t follow him. I knew he was upset. Great. Now that he’s angry at me, there’s nothing holding me back. I teleported to my house, grabbed my things, and then teleported back to the woods to set up the spell. I sat in the middle of the circle and began casting. Tears formed in my eyes, sliding down my cheeks as I sobbed.

I can’t do it... I can’t leave like this. I don’t want to leave like this. I don’t want to leave.