Chasing Shadow

On day, after I hadn't mentioned Shadow for some time, Candy sent me out, alone, to get some groceries from a teeny supermarket that looks like a restaurant. It's really out of place here, but at least it's close.

I was so excited because the alley between the supermarket and the Jazz House Hotel is Shadow's main hideout. As I was walking there, I saw no signs of Shadow. So I figured she'd be where she always was when she wasn't following me... In that alleyway.

For the first time in ages, I was allowed to go out alone. I didn't know if a chance like this would come around again. So, even though I was disobeying Candy, I was determined to find Shadow and answer my questions.

And I wasn't afraid.

👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤

I went to that alley. I got right up close to it, right at the edge, where the total darkness starts.

"Shadow?" I whispered.

Nothing.

"Shadow?" I pressed, louder.

This time, I saw, no, heard movement. And I could faintly, very faintly, make out the outline of a figure.

Shadow. She was here.

"Shadow," I stepped into the darkness.

"No! No closer," a voice begged. "Please."

"Shadow, I won't hurt you."

Movement again. I stepped in even closer. A footstep. A crash. Something fell at my feet.

Shadow's mask.

I picked it up.

"Shadow?" I whispered.

Another movement-sound. Then pounding footsteps. She was running! I followed her, staying hot on her trail.

She had long, long brown hair that reached the center of her back. She was wearing shiny black leggings and a matching jacket. She was running. Running fast. But it wasn't until she briefly turned to see how close I was.

Those eyes. They were so green.

Just like mine.

That was it. I stopped running and let myself fall. I struck a curb and my head bounced on the sidewalk.

Everything turned dark.