Finally

I was allowed to leave the hospital a few days later. They wanted to make sure what I did to my head wasn't making me crazy. They finally came to the conclusion that I was fine... But they told Candy to keep a very close eye on me. I knew she would even if the doctor hadn't told her to.

But, I was finally allowed to leave.

When I returned to the orphanage, I felt a little out of place. Everyone was staring at me. What exactly had Candy told them?

They didn't ask any questions, though. I thought Candy had maybe told them to keep their mouths shut. That's good. I don't want any 'publicity'.

The next three weeks were very boring. I wasn't allowed to leave the orphanage, which really sucked. Because I missed the Jazz Festival they hold nearby, and also the grand opening of Candy's brother Dave's new restaurant.

Finally, we went to the hospital and Dr. Stupid declared that he could remove my stitches. So they knocked me out and when I awoke, my head hurt like a sunnuva-gun. I had to stay a night in the hospital so they could 'be sure'. The next day I was released.

That was the same day I saw Shadow again.

👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤

"Can I go out now?" I asked Candy later that day. "I'm so sick of being trapped inside."

She sighed. "Well, okay. But remember your promise."

You mean the one I faked? I wondered to myself. I smiled in my mind and nodded. "Yep. I remember that one," I said.

Candy nodded. "Good. Well, then, you're free."

I rushed outside and walked the direction opposite of the alley. When I was away from the orphanage, I crossed the street and was back on track towards the alley.

👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤👤

When I reached it, I took a deep breath.

"Shadow."

A startled cry filled my ears. She was here!

"What are - why are you here?" Shadow demanded in a fearful voice. "You sh-shouldn't be here."

"I should say that you shouldn't be here, either, Shadow," I said. "But I don't know because you won't tell me."

"️Raja, I-"

"How do you know my name?!"

I stepped into the darkness.

"Look, Shadow, I'll leave when I get what I came for. And I came for answers."

"I can't."

"Can't what?"

"Give you answers."

"Why? So you're just going to stalk me and leave me oblivious to the reason why?"

"You shouldn't be here."

"We've already established that concept."

"Please go."

"Answers first, Shadow." I couldn't believe I was having a conversation with Shadow. What the heck?

"I can't. Can't tell you answers. Please go."

"No."

"But then I have to... Oh, no."

"What? What do you have to do?"

No answer.

"Shadow-?"

I was cut off when someone -- something -- swept me off my feet. Suddenly, I was hanging upside down. I shrieked. Someone stuffed a rag in my mouth. I struggled against the ropes that held me upside down.

What the-?

"I'm sorry, Raja," Shadow's voice said. I didn't even have time to process what was going on before I was knocked unconscious by a blow to the head.