Chapter 10

Islam sat on the chaise lounge in her spacious room, deep in thought on that Friday morning. Just then, she received a call from Zayyad, inviting her to their usual eatery. Without saying a word, she quickly showered and dressed in an Ankara skirt and blouse, along with a beautiful chiffon scarf. Grabbing her bag and slipping on her trusty flat shoes, she made her way to the living room to inform her mother about her plans.

There, she found Zaynab wearing glasses, engrossed in reciting Suratul Kahf from the Holy Qur'an. "Good morning, Mama," Islam greeted, curtsying respectfully. Mama replied, "Morning, you're finally going out. Where are you headed this time?"

"I'm just going out, Mama. I'll be fine," Islam replied, trying to hide her true feelings.

Mama sensed something was wrong and placed a bookmark in the Quran before sitting down. "Are you sure you're okay, my dear? You don't seem like yourself."

Islam nodded reluctantly, knowing she couldn't reveal the truth. "Yes, Mama, I'm fine. Don't worry."

Mama pulled her close, embracing her like only a mother could. "No matter what happens, remember that you'll always be my favorite girl," she whispered, offering comfort and support.

Feeling the warmth of her mother's love after a long time, Islam considered confiding in her but hesitated, unsure if it was the right time.

"Bye, Mama," Islam said, giving her one last hug before walking out. As she approached her car, she couldn't help but notice how new and dazzling it looked, as if untouched by anyone else.

She drove to the eatery and saw him waiting for her at the terrace. They settled and ordered hot cups of coffee with samosas.

"You said we should stop meeting but didn't say we should also not pick each other's call".

"I'm sorry, I'm just tempted and...... that's not even an excuse".

"What's wrong with you, tell me".

"Nothing".

"Just tell me, you won't be strong if you keep hiding it".

She brittled, "I'm just nervous after the accident and I didn't mean to do it I was just tempted".

"What are you talking about?"

"I killed Sadia Nagogo".

"What, you did what?"

"I didn't mean to do it".

"So what will we do?"

"I don't know I'm just sick and tired", she said then felt relieved after speaking with him.

"You know this life is subtle, chill babes and maybe there were some misunderstanding or the doctor's mistake".

"You're partially right", she said as surge of relief rushed into her chest and reducing the burden she was carrying.

*
"Can you tell me why you asked us to come to the bleachers?" Fiona asked, sitting beside Bianca. They were enjoying doughnuts with Lacasera.

"I just want us to be serious, we might be the winners," Firdausi explained.

They watched Charles and his friends play football on the field.

"You're taking it too seriously. We just have to wait for you," Bianca teased.

"What?"

"Yeah," Bianca added. "You're the brainy and nerdy one, so whatever you do is great. I don't give a damn."

"Wow, that's the first time you've complimented me. Thanks."

"Okay, let's go," Fiona said, taking Bianca's hand as they started walking away.