Chapter 19

~Mentally at the beach~

The sun was shining at the horizon across the water with high tide. The breeze was very cool and conciliating.

"Thank God I can use my legs again", said Khadija while sprawling on the mat at the beach with a cup of popcorn.

"Yeah, so you can keep partying", said Laila who was sitting next to her and skimming some novels.

"What do you mean, at least I can avenge her death".

"You should calm down Khadija. I was just thinking about donating my books to the Sadaqa that will take place on Friday", said Laila.

"Yeah because you buy alot of books you don't even need".

"You know I'm doing it for Ali but he didn't even care", she shrugged her shoulders and stood at the edge of the water.

"Then you move to Usman".

"Whatever you say. When are you going back to work you've been rejecting so many cases?"

"I don't know but I think it's time", she said then walked to her and wrapped her hands around her and added, "I don't know what I'm gonna do without you cousin".

"Hey it's okay, I always believe in you Khadija. And will always, please don't kill yourself".

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine", she said then turned her and hugged her tightly.

Laila was her childhood friend even though they were cousins and had shortcomings. They were known to be each other's half.

Laila was a gynaecologist because she strongly believe in curing her fellow women while Khadija was a lawyer who fought for their rights. They strongly believed in feminism and had alike perspective which brought them closer forever.

*

"You should get ready we will have visitors in the evening", said Zaynab to Islam who was typing stuffs in her laptop.

"Can I ask you who that special guest is?"

"Well Mr Yusuf Nagogo and your dad want to become partners in business and your Dad invited him and his family for dinner".

"Why must we be involved Mama?"

"Don't say that, he runs an automobile industry".

"So does stepdad".

"And this would boost their image even though he's trying to beat Ali, he said he wants to join Khalid in the sea food business".

"Too bad Ali has the blood of a businessman than he does".

"Just get ready, Laila and Nadia are coming too with Haj. Salma".

"Oh tell me it's a full house", said Islam who got up.

"Please wear something nice and not those tuxedo".

"You know there's an exhibit at school and Firdausi is going to show her painting?"

"I guess she mentioned it but that will be by the way, don't worry we will all attend it after dinner".

"Isn't it too late?"

"I know but we're the one doing them a favour you know, if everything turns out okay who knows?"

"Who knows what?"

"Nothing just get dressed".

She sulkily opened her big wardrobe for a decent dress even though she wasn't in the mood to be stylishly clothed.