Chapter 16

~Sunday, funday~

Islam walked into the room, carrying a steaming mug of matcha. She had slept soundly and was ready to tackle a new day, full of promise and possibility. Her sleek nightgown and peignoir fluttered as she moved, and she slipped into Firdausi's plush bed, gently tapping her awake.

"Firdausi, wake up! It's time to get ready. We're going to Maman Mubarak's place today," Islam said, trying to sound cheerful.

Firdausi groggily opened her eyes, wincing in pain. "What...what happened?" she mumbled, her voice laced with confusion.

"Just get ready, we'll talk later," Islam replied, already heading out of the room.

But Firdausi's curiosity got the better of her. She rushed out of the room, clutching her stomach, and made a beeline for the toilet. The wave of nausea hit her like a ton of bricks, leaving her weak and shaken.

Meanwhile, Islam busied herself in the kitchen, expertly filling pitta bread with an assortment of delights and brewing tea. She couldn't help but smile as she recalled the previous night's adventures with Usman and his friends, especially Amina. She was determined to move on from Zayyad and embrace new experiences.

Later, as they prepared to leave, Firdausi's unusual behavior raised concerns. "Can I just stay home?" she asked, her voice laced with an uncharacteristic hint of desperation.

"What's wrong, Firdausi? You love going to Maman Mubarak's place," Islam said, sensing something was amiss.

"I just...I don't feel like it today," Firdausi replied, avoiding eye contact.

"Mama asked us to go, and it's a special occasion. Uncle TJ was promoted to be the Head of Gynecology Department," Islam reminded her.

Firdausi nodded half-heartedly. "Right..."

Islam noticed her sister's distant demeanor. "Is everything okay, Firdausi? You're not still upset about Mama leaving, are you?"

Firdausi shrugged. "I just...I need some time alone, okay?"

Islam nodded, though she was far from convinced.

Later, Firdausi arrived at Damien's place, her heart racing with anticipation and fear. The remnants of the previous night's party lay scattered around her, and Damien was busy cleaning up the mess.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Damien asked, his eyes darting towards the door behind her.

"What did you do to me?" Firdausi demanded, her voice low and menacing.

Damien chuckled. "Don't worry, everything went smoothly. You had a blast, didn't you?"

Firdausi's anger boiled over. "How dare you touch me? I'll never let you get away with this!"

Damien smirked. "You can't do anything, Firdausi. Just sit back and watch what happens next."

Firdausi's fist connected with Damien's stomach, and he groaned, doubling over. "I swear, I won't let you get away with this," she seethed, before bursting into tears in the taxi ride home.

*
Islam finished wrapping the snacks in bento boxes and bags, her hands moving with precision. She headed upstairs, her linen dress rustling as she walked, and slipped on a white blazer, giving her outfit a vintage touch. Firdausi emerged, her face a picture of gloom.

"What should I tell Mubarak?" Islam asked, concern etched on her face.

"Just lie, say I'm sick with stomach pain," Firdausi replied, her voice laced with a hint of irritation.