The dream

Days turned into weeks.  Every morning I would wake up and make breakfast for the family.  Will would occasionally help me do the dishes.  I would sleep until noon, then clean the household until Kayla came home from her morning Kindergarten class.  I would make her and myself lunch and play with her until everyone else got home.  I would listen as they did their homework and sometimes learn a thing or two.  

After homework, Will, Alec and Arron would watch the 'game', which I had learned was called baseball.  I would secretly stare at Alec as I cooked dinner, which I had learned to do very well, even though I hated it.

I would eat dinner alone when everyone went off to bed, then climb into my own and fall into a deep sleep, and the cycle would begin again the next day.

"Pass the rice please."  Mr. Kensington said to Esme.  Esme handed it over then turned to her mother.

"Why does Ara never eat with us?"  I had been listening in from the kitchen.  

I came back out with a tray of fresh bread and placed it on the table.  I watched as Mrs. Kensington dabbed her lips with her napkin then turned to Esme.

"She's our maid."  Mrs. Kensington took a slice of bread and began buttering it for Kayla.

"She wants to though, right Ara?"  I bit my lip and did like any maid would do.

"is dinner alright Miss?"  I asked politely.  Mrs. Kensington nodded.

"Quite pleasant."  She handed Kayla the slice of bread.

"Thank you mommy."  Kayla took a large bite which I didn't know she could take with her small mouth.

"Why doesn't she join us just for tonight?"  Alec requested.  I felt like melting again.

"No she-"  Mr. Kensington began but was interrupted by Kristi.

"Oh my gosh, yes!  She must dad!"  She exclaimed.  I smiled.

"Ara!  Sit!"  Kayla shouted joyfully.

"Come on dad, she works so hard..."  Will winked at me

"Fine.  Just for tonight though."  Mr. Kensington gave an unpleasant scowl.  I figured that's where Arron got his.  I smirked.  For all the money he payed for me, I was becoming more of a family member than a servant girl.

I took a seat next to Alec he handed me a slice of bread from the basket next to him.  I thanked him and began buttering it.

"So how is it working here?"  Mrs. Kensington sake kindly.

"It's nice.  I gets a bit lonely here from time to time..."  I admitted.  "But I love working for you, everyone is so nice to me..."

"Why thank you Ara, you are very nice yourself."  Mrs. Kensington replied.

Mr. Kensington pushed his plate forward.

"I'm off to finish up some work in the study."  He said and hurried away.  I began to stand to get his plate but Mrs. Kensington pulled me back down.

"Let me take care of cleaning up tonight.  You should get some sleep, you look awfully tired."  She began picking up the various platters, glasses, bowls and plates and returned into the kitchen.  I took a spoon and looked at my reflection.  It was still the same me, except the dark ringlets under my eyes had began to fade.  If only she had known how tired I was before coming here.  How many tests I had to endure.

I helped Mrs. Kensington dry off a few dishes before retreating to my bed.  I crawled in and instantly fell to sleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

I'm running.  Sweat is beading down my face.  The guards from the facility labs are chasing after me along with a ton of Scientists.  I notice Isis, not yet transformed into her experimented self with running with me.  She looks to be 8 or 9 and is yelling my name.  I call to her but she doesn't respond.  I find myself tripping on something and the Scientists attacking me and Isis.  Pulling us into the room where they change people.  I scream and cry as they inject me with fluids and hook me up to a strange machine.  I scream louder, tears streaming down my pale cheeks.

"Ara!  Ara!"  I hear someone call.  I shriek when I feel someone's hand.

My eyes shot open and I see Alec.  He's in his pajamas and looks exhausted.  I notice I'm covered in sweat and tears.

"A-Alec?"  I stuttered.

"Yeah, are you okay?"  He asked.  I noticed his hand is on my shoulder.

"What happened?"  I look around to see I'm back in my bed and not in the metal room.

"You were screaming bloody murder, i thought someone was stabbing you."  He said groggily.

"I'm sorry.  DId I wake you?"

"No, I was already awake."  he sighed.  "Now push over."

I did as he requested and he crawled under the covers beside me.  I felt the tingly sensation I get when he squeezed my hand.

"Alec?"  I asked when we had been aging there for a while.

"Yes?"  It felt good to hear his whisper.

"Thanks for you know, helping me I guess."  I said.  He nodded and falls back asleep, even though I'm practically jumping with joy that he's in my bed.