Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

☠ Chapter Twenty-Two ☠

ZAYN'S POV

"I'm serious. Don't allow me to say something I can't take back." The words leave my mouth in a harsh tone, but I don't exactly mean them. They're just words to make this conversation—this argument, or fight—end.

I understand that I pushed too hard. I pried too much into her personal life, when she clearly isn't ready to tell me yet. However, I'm concerned. I can see that something is seriously affecting her and the last thing I want to do is to trigger her.

"Fine then, I'll just call someone to come get me," she glares at me for a moment before turning and walking away. I admire the way her hips sway while she walks, sipping on my whiskey. She's observing me from the doorway with a mixture of sadness and anger filled in her eyes. I press the button on the radio, so the music fills the space between us and drowns out the tension.

I stare at my car, as if I'm scoping out some sort of issue. There's nothing for me to fix, or adjust, it's just a distraction from her and from our fight. Liquor bottle in hand, I cross the garage and stand at the bottom of the stairs, listening as Arielle paces back and forth.

"Can Nyjah come get me, please," I hear her practically beg into the speaker of her cellphone. She must be talking to that hyperactive chick. Fuck, what was her name again? I swallow more whiskey, which isn't helping my foggy memory at the moment. It was something with a Z, wasn't it?

Whatever, it's not like it matters, she's rather annoying anyways and I sense something off about her friendship with Arielle, but I can't quite figure it out yet. It's not simply that I don't trust her, something just doesn't seem right.

I hear a sigh fall from her lips. "Yeah, it's fine. I'm just kind of stuck at Zayn's. I'm not feeling well, and he isn't able to take me home s'all. Thanks, anyways," she lies. Although, I guess it's not a full-blown fib because she's upset with me.

Why didn't she tell her friend why she wanted to leave? Maybe whatever Arielle's hiding from me, she's hiding from her friend as well? Whatever it is, I know that it must be big. I can see it in her eyes, I can see just how much it weighs on her shoulders. What the fuck could be so serious that she is scared to tell me? Why doesn't she trust me enough to tell me? I get that we haven't known each other for that long, but she should know that she can trust me with whatever she has to say to me.

I think that's one of the worst parts of it. She doesn't trust me. She doesn't trust me enough to tell me what is bothering her. I've done nothing but protect her since I first laid eyes on her. Why doesn't she fucking trust me? I saunter up the few stairs quietly, making sure she doesn't hear me.

Maybe I just need to give it more time. Perhaps she has a hard time putting her faith in people. It's entirely possible that the very reason she's distrustful is because of exactly what she won't tell me. I have to learn patience.