[4] Weight Of A Soul

Absquatulate

(v.) to leave without saying goodbye

         It's been a couple days and none of us can find Sydney anywhere. We've practically searched the entire building and the entire perimeter. We're about to head out to town to go look for her but I'm a little nervous. What happened to her? What would happen to us? What if...she's already dead...? I get drawn out from my thoughts by a tug on my sleeve. Kailey looks over to me and nods. I nod back signaling I'm ready to go for the search. Me, Kailey, and Elizabeth are a fraction and Kai, Rachel, and Davis are grouped together. It's been a while since I've been on the streets of this town, but I still remember everything like the back of my own hand. We make our way to the heart of the settlement while the other group is searching around the circumference. We make sure to survey each and every crevice not leaving any stone unturned (although I'm unsure of why she would be under a stone...). After six hours we finished looking through the center of the town and are devastated. I listen to all our shuffling feet drag across the forest floor. The dead leaves barely hanging on the trees ruffle with the slight breeze. I hear our other groups quiet mumbling slowly getting closer. Once we're in a line of sight of each other we both realize that neither of us have Sydney. There seems to be a sense of devastation weighing on each of us. We return to our building, spirits low and hunger setting in. I can feel the light growl of my stomach. We make our way to the dining hall with the thought of Sydney's absence on all our minds.

         I wonder how it happened.....Sydney's very strong so how did they get her? I turn to my side, my sheets pulling along my torso as I do so. I let out a heavy sigh and bury myself in my fluffy white covers. I hope it's not too late and we can find her soon... I yawn and stretch out my arms. My hands tighten around my comforter, shaking. I let out another yawn and before I know it, I'm sleeping.