Chapter 12 - Conspirators & Kin

Voldemort's snake-like face split into a wide smile. "Yes," he affirmed, speaking directly to me. "Well, I'd suppose you hadn't met her", earning a light chuckle from the group. Flashbacks of Granddad telling me how Voldemort had murdered my parents sprung forth into my mind. Had he been telling the truth? "Faithful your parents were," he continued, "of course, until they weren't". His toothy smile faded. I must have looked perplexed, because he broke into laughter, relishing my ignorance. The group was all staring at me now; except Draco- whose stare hadn't left the square of table in front of him. I hadn't yet found my voice, and Voldemort continued. 

"October 31st, over 15 years ago now", he hissed "I lost everything- failed to kill a little boy with no spectacular importance. And why? Might you ask how the most powerful sorcerer failed to kill a child? My own trusted followers..." He had turned his back to address the wall behind him. "Aurora and Cadmus Victor. They betrayed me-" He turned around, eyes alight with malice. He began to pace to the right of the table. My mind raced. My parents weren't death eaters? They had been normal; they went to Hogwarts, they... they... I fought to preserve the memory of the doting parents I never knew; as Voldemort continued. "That night, they left our ranks- fled to the Ministry to tell them of our plan". He stopped behind Draco's chair, resting a hand on the shoulder of his dark blazer. "Died in Azkaban though, I'm afraid" he relished, squeezing Draco's shoulder. "But Draco here has brought me the revenge I so desire". 

"You're lying," I said through gritted teeth. Voldemort looked up, cracking another dangerous grin and shaking his head. "Lied to all your life by those who care most about you.." he tutted, releasing Draco's shoulder. I saw Draco breathe a deep sigh of relief, and scoot forward in his chair. Voldemort stepped towards me once more, "your parents were traitorous swine, but dear old Grandfather sought to spare your feelings? Paint the picture that your parents weren't in my closest ranks?" He was mere feet away when he paused. "The Trentham family.. The Vaughans..." He began, looking thoughtfully at me. "Yes, your parents tortured them all," He mused, relishing the stupified look I surely had on my face. He turned to the group, addressing them all. "What would turn some of my closest comrades against me?" Bellatrix seemed to open her mouth to answer the question; then thought better of it. Voldemort directed his attention to me once more, taking a fractional step my way with every word he spoke. "It wouldn't be my first choice, bringing the spawn of traitors into my ranks. But I see it fitting, given they deserted me? Left me for dead?" He questioned, less than a foot away. "Sold me out to Dumbledore?" I hadn't time to consider his accusations before a searing pain hit my left arm, sending me spinning once more into a spiral of unconsciousness.