- Chapter Four -

_____________________

Chapter Four: Old Acquaintances_____________________

_____________________

Harley's eyes widened as he glanced over the paper once, twice, three times. no, it had to be a coincidence, there's no way.  but there was a way, and it was right in front of his face.

Harley was under Vecnas's curse. Max glanced up at the older man with a knowing look in her eye, one he returned panicked and shaken. He cursed under his breath turning around and raking his hands through his hair. Steve's eyebrows furrowed,

"What?" He asked cautiously. Harley frowned, shaking his hands in an attempt to calm himself down.

"I... I think one of us is next," Harley says quietly. Steve almost doesn't catch it.

"Who?" He asks, his hand finding its way to his shoulder. Harley crossed his arms, attempting to hide the tears threatening to spill out of his eyes. He nodded his head towards max, and that's when they noticed the young girl wasn't responding.

she was completely still, her eyes shot open wide, staring off into space. Harley waved a hand in front of her face.

"Max?" He called out, snapping a few times. The girl didn't respond, as if on another plane entirely.

It took a few minutes of snapping and screaming the redhead's name before she finally came to. But she wasn't there for long before she sprung out of her seat and ran down the hall.

"Red?!" Harley called, chasing after the girl. He followed her all the way to a dead-end hallway where she stood there confused.

"You're freaking me out," Steve muttered quietly to the girl. Nancy and Robin opened the front doors a moment later, calling out for the group. they found them relatively quickly.

Max still ignored her surroundings entirely, focusing only on the small wall in front of her,

"It was right here," She said softly. Harley's eyebrow perked up,

"What was?" Nancy asked just as soft.

"A grandfather clock. It was so real," Harley frowned, his face pinched together in worry. "And when I got closer, I woke up,"

"It was like she was in a trance or something, Just like Eddie said Happened to Chrissy," Dustin commented. Harley bit the inside of his cheek, watching max carefully. Max turned around to face the group,