- Chapter Five -

___________________

Chapter Five: we're fucked ___________________

___________________

That night, Harley finally agreed to stay with the party overnight. They all stayed in the wheeler's basement, huddled up on couches, and spread all along the floor.

the power had gone out sometime around 9:30, causing the group to huddle together even closer,
It wasn't the most comfortable situation, so after some begging, Harley was able to borrow one of the walkie-talkies and step out to talk to Eddie.

Harley slid open the basement door, stepping out onto the wooden porch. The chilled spring air felt nice as it blew through his messed-up hair.

He held the walkie-talkie tightly in his hands, fumbling with the knobs and buttons until he found the correct frequency to connect with Eddie.

"Ed's?" Harley said softly into the speaker. no answer. only low blowing of the wind as the sun continued to fall lower and lower to the ground. "Eddie?" He calls out again, just as softly. Harley hears a light click on the other end.

"What happened to code names, Goldie Locks?" Eddie teased as his voice spilled over the line. Harley chuckled softly. Eddies voice was lower and slow as if he had just woken up.

"My bad, I just wanted to check in, Eddie: the banished," The other boy teases, a light smile spreading across his lips. He hears a soft laugh on the other end.

"I'm doing alright Harls. So is Cj," He admits, the sound of rustling blankets behind his words.

"Good. That's good,"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," a beat of silence.

"is that all Harls?" Eddie asks. The blonde thinks for a moment. Was that all? did he just want to check in? he knew the answer was no, and he could tell Eddie knew it too. Harley shakes his head, but he knows the other can't see it.

"I hate this," He says quietly, almost silent.

"I do too," Eddie responds just as quietly. "But we're gonna get through this. okay?" He adds, and Harley can practically hear the smile growing on his face.

"Okay," he responds, his voice weak and wet.

"try to get some sleep. I'll talk to you in the morning," Eddie murmurs, creating a promise with the other boy that they'll see each other again and Harley won't die in his sleep. Harley nods again, before remembering that Eddie still can't see him.