Chapter 4: I'll Make a Teacher Out of You

Yurina slept. They were good ones too. No nightmares, no dreams really, just blissful nothingness. During the day she would walk around town, recollecting her memories. She just needed to simmer in it, like soup. Complicated soup.

Eventually, she got used to hearing their voices. Midori's was calm, lyrical by nature. Yurina heard hints of herself in Midori's interviews. She had a timid laugh, hiding behind a hand as her eyes crinkled into crescent moons. Ryuujin had a surprisingly gentle voice as well, but he often lost that smoothness when he laughed. It was loud and it echoed, but it put a smile to people's faces and didn't scare babies. Yurina played video recordings again and again; she wanted to know these people.

"Ma," Yurina murmured at a photo of Midori, "Pa," she poked at Ryuujin's face on the paper. She looked down at her hand and tried to imagine theirs holding hers and sighed. What was she doing? Yurina looked around towards the kitchen. Nemuri was peeling oranges, humming a little song.

Yurina looked at her hand again, seeing Nemuri's wrapped around her fingers, tugging her along to the park.

"Let's go!" She had said, "I'll push you on the swings." And Yurina had laughed and giggled the entire day.

"Ma," Yurina murmured, she had always called Nemuri that, but it meant more in that moment. Nemuri didn't hear her, only stopping in her humming to hold up a peeled orange.

"Fruits!" she said, "Come get some," Yurina rose and sat down at the dining table, nibbling a wedge. "Neh," Nemuri said, "I had an idea."

"What is it?"

Nemuri set down another orange, clasping her hands together. "Come with me to U.A"

"Like to visit?"

"Sure, stay the whole day."

"School isn't in session."

"That's fine." Nemuri reached out to pinch Yurina's cheek. "You've been cooped up for a few days. You only go with me to the grocery store. Stretch your legs a little." Yurina could only nod as she squished another wedge between her teeth.

"Alright."

~~~

Yurina dressed in civilians clothes the next day. A lavender bomber jacket that Keigo had gifted her, along with dark blue jeans and a white undershirt covered her. She borrowed a pair of Nemuri's sneakers and tugged her hair into a lose ponytail. Nemuri raised her eyebrow as Yurina pulled on the Alchemi mask, securing it in front of her.

"Is that necessary?" Nemuri poked her forehead, "Practically everyone knows what you look like there. It was your old school."

"Protocol." Yurina simply said, stepping out the door before Nemuri could say anything else.

Yurina entered the school, following Nemuri up the stairs. The glass windows reflected the harsh light from the summer sun as they made their way up. Yurina recognized the doors to Principal Nezu's office, watching as the doors opened as they approached. To her surprise, while she anticpated the small principal to exit, she saw All Might, in his non-hero form shuffle out as well, wearing a suit. It draped over him in a way that made him look like a hanger for the suit, instead of a person wearing the suit.

"Midnight!" Principal Nezu called with a smile, "Right on time. And you brought our darling hero!" They approached, Yurina shaking hands with Nezu. "Alchemi, lovely of you to stop by."