chapter 6

It was 3:03 AM. Chamber was meditating. His eyes were closed, his feet were criss-cross apple-sauce. He added in a little prayer for karma points. He had his transmission device in hand, ready to intercept potential calls. Or blackmails.

The spy hauled himself to his feet and steadied himself on the table edge. He hadn't eaten the entire day. How could he? He was sick. The people who set this up were sick, his stomach was sick, his heart was sick. He hung there until his dizziness went away. Vincent went to pour himself a cup of cold water. It would help him think clearly.

The last droplets of water trickled down the glass. Vincent held it up to his chapped lips and threw it down the hatch. As he was drinking, something in the corner of his eye caught his attention. A glistening silvery piece of metal, a chunk of it was hanging from behind the fridge.

Chamber set the highball down and slid it across the countertop. He pressed himself against the cold surface of the fridge and blindly swept his hand behind it.

His hand snagged on something hard and tough, and a little slippery. He curled his hand around it and tugged.

It was a crowbar.

He wrapped his fingers around the bevelled edge and placed his other hand over the heel. This would make for a good beating. In self-defense, of course.

The spy sloughed over to the door and slinked into the shadows. Chamber was going to Sherlock the hell out of VALORANT Town.

Raze's house was a good place to start. All members had been there before. It would be familiar to the mafia and therefore easy to find footing. And he didn't want to mention this but Raze was an easy target, with her being emotional and prone to negativity.

Tayane was kind of an open book.

Vincent forced the window open. He found a steady hold on the windowsill and swung himself inside. He shut the window in case someone could feel the wind and brought himself into the living room. The couch Killjoy was sitting on was still reclined, the water bottles Raze gave out were empty and scattered. And the Nemo DVD was still lodged in the Blu-ray.

Other than party leftovers and careless discarded tissues, there was nothing. There was no one. Chamber had taken the pleasure of searching the messy house to which he had tripped many times.

It was worrying that Tayane had ruined her house this fast. It looked like a hurricane had run through and put everything on its side.

Vincent went to a dark isolated room, closed off by double-doors with blinds. He rolled out the office chair and sat, pulled out his transmission device. He flicked the antenna a few times before it booted awake.

It was on Neon's house. Empty. He gave it a swipe. First he saw Yoru, the back of his head was layered and messy. There was another figure behind him. Chamber scratched the screen to remove dust then zoomed in. It was Jett. And they were talking.

He panned to the right and saw Killjoy spying on them. It was a shame that he couldn't hear anything. Chamber watched Killjoy carefully.

Her fingers were wrapped around the corner, she was squatting and her neck was stretched to peer around the wall. There didn't seem to be anything strange about her. She wasn't armed, not that he could see.

Chamber watched the three. This was Yoru's house, Six. What made those two visit him? The spy couldn't recall what Ryo did or said that morning. He didn't think Ryo even talked.

That's right, he was blackmailed.

Initially, Vincent thought they visited to give Yoru a hand, except Yoru was standing leaning on the table and Jett was cowering under his tigress presence. Chamber looked at the screen at different angles.