chapter 9

"You're free to go."

The night was over.

The chair screeched on the hard tiles as Chamber slid back and got up. It had hit 6:00 AM, it was time to wander around and get some evidence. Jett and Killjoy, Neon and Fade and Phoenix. He bet he could get a lot of dirt on Phoenix sometime. The guy didn't talk much and didn't write a will.

Chamber headed down the path, brushing his hair behind his ear. The breeze was gentle like the calm before the storm. The sun was getting ready to rise, but the sky was still mostly violets and grays. Chamber went inside Fade's house.

There was Jett. She looked fresh with her new outfit. Her legs were crossed and she was sitting on a stubby wooden chair that looked uneven. Chamber closed the door behind him and walked over. Jett didn't seem to notice him standing there.

"Hello?" He knocked on the counter gently.

Jett was startled. "Chamber? I wasn't expecting you."

"Likewise." Chamber eyed the back of her head before taking out his transmission device. "Why are you here?"

Jett got up, turned her chair around for a proper conversation. She said, "I came to investigate Fade. She wasn't home."

A twinkle in her eye, a graze of a smile on her lips. "And you?"

"Yoru got me. I couldn't do anything." Chamber thought they could explore Fade's house together. They could put their suspect up to trial. Chamber turned on his heel and headed for the corridor. He swiped an empty water bottle from the counter and tipped it into the trash.

"There's nothing in the house," Jett said slowly. Her wrist was arched and she was touching the petals of a plant.

Chamber didn't pause. "Maybe you missed something." He had a feeling.

"You want to find the killer? Or do you want to incriminate Fade?"

Chamber ignored her, kept sliding himself down the hall and keeping an eye on every object. In all honesty, she didn't know what he was doing. But evidence was evidence. Jett wasn't going to stop justice.

Jett leaned back in the chair, the boards creaked. Her heart was beating fast and her fingers were clasped around the stem of the flower. She wondered if her hand sweat was being absorbed by the leaves.

Fade was going to come back, and they would talk. Hopefully without Chamber breathing down their necks. They weren't in a good spot. Suspicion was on them, and the other members were getting restless. Jett wanted to do this for Raze and a part of her felt like she really was in the mafia. The Italian mafia, the gang mafia, the criminals and the killers. She was just like them.

What would happen to her members, she asked herself, if she became lost in this desire to fill a role?

She scribbled some things in her will. Third night I'm at fade's house, i found a bulletproof vest.

Jett did find a bulletproof vest. It didn't surprise her that Fade had left it there. Fade probably came here, sat down, and didn't touch a damn thing. It would help her fight.

She hadn't blackmailed that night. She thought that under their hunger for evidence they'd stop caring about reality and turn to false justice. Essentially, she framed Chamber. She twirled the pen between her fingers.

Fade came in the front door, tucking something long and glass-like in her chest pocket. Jett waved her over. "Chamber's in the house," she said calmly.

Fade understood. They headed inside the bathroom and locked the door. It was a half-bathroom. They stood one foot apart. Jett felt the walls.