chapter 11

Jett had left Viper's house before 6:00 AM. She had taken the front door.

There was a curtain of mist. It made the air feel heavy and her skin feel moist.

That morning Phoenix gave her a book called "The End of the Affair". Jett had asked him, "What're you sending me love stories for?" to which Phoenix responded dryly, "It's a gift."

Jett called after him, "Thanks." She went to her house to drop it off and shower. When she went back out she was greeted by the rising sun. Her vision was partially obscured by the fog and it turned the light hazy. The fog cleared in the center to reveal the man in black.

"Hello. Today marks the end of Night Four. Viper was found in their home last night. They were attacked by a member of the mafia. We found a will next to their body. 'I shot someone'."

Jett had seen her will. After she had done what she had to do, she set Viper down and reached over her body to take the document. The man adjusted his grip on the paper and he hesitated.

The next part was a plea for forgiveness. It was written in blood.

The man pressed his lips together and shut off the hologram after telling them to proceed. Viper was on her back in front of House Three, one arm resting above her head and her head turned toward Jett. It was unsettling. Jett felt Phoenix and Yoru's grating eyes on her. She was in a state of malaise and had the feeling that everyone hated her. But they weren't in a place to understand. Viper was.

Day Five

Yoru seized her by the bicep and brought her to the center stage. There was a wrinkle in his forehead. Jett thought he looked confused so she asked him what he was thinking.

Yoru responded tersely, "Nothing." It seemed like an eternity that they were walking. Finally, they came to a stop and Yoru picked up the shotgun and ran the muzzle down his hand.

"There's one way you can atone for your sin," Yoru said. Jett had her hands behind her back; she didn't take her eyes off the barrel. There was a voice telling her to smack it out of Yoru's hand and run.

Jett was not a risk-taker.

"Yoru, let her talk," Chamber was insisting.

Jett began to sweat. She wanted to live long enough to see Neon wake up. The hardest part was telling them to drop this nonsense and escape. She knew they were watching her. Truth was, she had ended Viper's life not for justice but for the sake of obeying a wish.

Viper was living like a dead man.

She asked herself was it punishment or sacrifice that returned balance to the world. Jett thought it was both but that wasn't up to her. Last night she had played fate's hand and now it was all circling back. She didn't seek atonement. She wanted acceptance.

Put yourself in her shoes. It wasn't a fight for self preservation as it was for mediation. See, her words and feelings wouldn't mean anything if her members didn't accept what she was saying. This made it also a fight for perspective and change.

Jett wanted them to stay vigilant of the oppressors that watched over them. Jett wasn't dangerous; she was a carrier of destiny and anything else was beyond the veil. In the corner of her eye she could see Phoenix crying. She hoped Phoenix wouldn't cry anymore. In her speak, God was bringing judgment. Condemning him.

Neon was still there. Jett could see her. The night she was attacked, she was twitching like an epileptic. Now she wasn't moving. Jett listened.

Yoru said, "You made a poor decision."

Jett threw up a rude gesture and told him to eat shit. Yoru put the gun down temporarily to take a sip of water. "I jailed Phoenix to protect him from you. Turns out I was right."