Chapter 18

James returned just as Chris arrived, while he put up a ladder to the outside of the cottage, James and Phoebe made their way into the attic. Phoebe was dying to have a nose. James found the light switch, which turned on one bare light bulb that hung from a precariously looking wire hung around a wooden beam. The attic was a huge area that was filled with unwanted and forgotten things, so crammed in with stuff and cobwebs galore. It was difficult to move around without bumping into things. Cobwebs decorated heavy old furniture that must have been a nightmare to put up there. There were boxes upon boxes. There were books, several mirrors, old toys, an antiquated gramophone, a surfboard and lots of fishing gear. Phoebe was in awe, it was like being in a curiosity shop.

James was in his element as he found some of his old toys from when he was a child. After prizing James away from an old Scalextric set, they crouched through to where they found there had been some water damage. "Looks like the rain has got through here," James shifted a box and felt the wooden beams.

Not looking where she was walking Phoebe kicked a picture frame that clattered to the ground smashing the glass when it fell. "Ooops..." Phoebe bent down, "I didn't see it sorry..."

"Careful, I'll go and get a dustpan." James left Phoebe and made his way back down to the landing. Phoebe lifted the frame and leaned it back against the box it was propped up against. Phoebe gasped, to her surprise it was Kitty, the likeness of the painting was so lifelike. Kitty's eyes were filled with light and hope and she looked happy; not the forlorn ghostly figure Phoebe had come to know. Kitty's long dark hair fell over her shoulders, her pale heart-shaped face was beautiful. Her eyes were of the lightest blue. Phoebe looked to the bottom corner, the initials of the artist were in the same style as the one on the painting of the cottage downstairs, but it was still unreadable. Phoebe pulled the painting forward and inspected the back hoping to see some proof of who painted it, but there was nothing. Pushing it back Phoebe noticed at the bottom there was a small tear on the canvas separating it from the frame, "damn," Phoebe muttered to herself she hadn't meant to damage it. "Hang on... what's that?" There was some sort of paper situated between the board at the back of the canvas. Phoebe carefully pulled at the canvas pulling it away from the frame, it was already torn anyway ... Phoebe convinced herself it could be easily repaired. Carefully, Phoebe pulled at the paper which turned out to be an envelope with a wax seal, it had never been opened. It was addressed to Kitty, Phoebe recognised the handwriting it was from Tommy. Phoebe took the envelope and placed it in her pocket, the light was too dim to read it now.

There were other paintings, all small ones behind the painting of Kitty, they were all paintings of the surrounding area, one of the cliff tops that Phoebe could see from her window, two more of the cottage, and three smaller ones all of Kitty. All were painted in the same style, obviously by the same painter.

James returned and made Phoebe jump, she never heard him coming up behind her. "Here, we'd better clear that up," James spoke handing her a dustpan and brush. Phoebe swept and collected the glass shards placing them in an empty box. "Look, James, it's a picture of Kitty!" Phoebe was excited.

"Are you sure?" James asked.

"Yes, very, it's her, have you seen them before?"

"No, never."

"Can we take this one downstairs I'd really like your aunt and Deborah to see it," Phoebe was desperate to see it in the light?

"Yeah, if you'd like," James picked up the painting that was the size of a modern film poster.

Phoebe followed James down the loft ladder, she couldn't wait to read the letter, although she did feel a little guilty that perhaps it wasn't her place to read it. But who doesn't love reading a letter? It had never been opened and it felt like she was snooping, but what could she do? Letters were written to be read, weren't they?