Ch. 5: In The Garden I Went Missing

• Changmin •

I want to understand her.

Or rather...

I feel like I should.

She's my roommate after all, and I'm sharing a room with a psychopath; I should probably have to try and understand her if I don't want her to be... manipulating me or anything according to her will. Probably just like what she did with our nurses.

In a way, I also want to just... know what could be going through her mind. She's confusing, but I think I'm pretty willing to know her more.

On the other hand, I guess I still have to keep my guard up when I'm around her.

"So is this where you got lost?" Y/N asks, and I look towards her then around, assessing the place she had brought me to in the garden. I nod, and she nods back in return before she turns back to the place before us.

The tall hedges that took the form of long concrete walls stood before me, but since I'm seeing them in the morning (and I didn't miss my medications this time), they don't really seem scary anymore. In fact, they actually do look pretty, like how Y/N said them to be.

"If you go there early in the morning, you'll see what I'm talking about... What do I have to escort you?"

Thankfully, she did. And now we stood here in the gardens, and I kept staring at the place, taking it in to rid me of the fear I felt in it from last night.

It was still early morning, which means the sun had just come up and the sky is a calm white. Dews had formed on the plants and in this light, probably every single leaf sparkled like stars. There's a calmness in the air, and I soon find myself relaxing as I breathe in deeply.

"Not so bad, eh?" I hear my roommate speak beside me, and I open my eyes immediately when I'm reminded of her presence.

"Y-yeah..."

I look at her, and she raises a brow at me before she eventually turns away and proceeds walking. She doesn't say anything more after that.

I guess... I really should expect that from her. But in a way, it really isn't too obvious that she's a psychopath, isn't it? If I were a normal person and I met her outside in the real world, I probably would have thought she's just like the rest of us. Normal.

Now I really wonder what brought her here, and just why exactly she stayed for eight years now.

"Aren't you coming? You do realize I'm only doing this because your nurse asked me to and I really don't want any ruckus to be happening in our room again..."

"O-oh, yeah... Coming!" I run after her, but just as I pass the hedges fencing the gardens, I feel a chill run down my spine... and the monster looming behind me again.

I quickly catch up to Y/N, hoping her presence would eventually drive it away.

~

"You seem to be getting better. How about we reduce your dose to every eight hours?" the doctor asks me; though clearly, that's him suggesting something I can't go against. I have to listen to what he says if I want to get better, after all.

I nod, and he begins writing down on his notepad before he turns towards his computer next. And as he does so, he continues conversing with me.

"So, Changmin... How's your new roommate? Is she treating you well?"

I take a moment to think of a response. Honestly, I can't even think of what to say to that question. Is she treating me well? Well...

"Okay, I know she can be... bizarre, sometimes," the doctor suddenly continues before I could speak, and I turn to him, "but she's definitely a great companion. She talks to you often, doesn't she?"

I nod, and so does he.

"Yes, yes... That's a good thing. And you respond to her, too, I believe?"

I nod again.

"I believe she'll eventually help with your rehabilitation."

I don't nod this time. Instead, I open my mouth, and I tell the doctor about my doubts. "She made two nurses fight with each other the other day..."

He looks at me,then he nods solemnly before he turns away from the computer towards me. "Yes, I heard..."

"She manipulates people forher own amusement, I assume, and because of that, I've been keeping my guard around her... Is that a bad thing?" I look at the doctor, doubting my words, but he shakes his head.

"No, no. It's good to have your guard up when you feel you're in danger. That's what keeps us all alive up until now. And you just met her, after all."

I nod and mumble a "thank you", then I think of my nurse. "So about my nurse..."

"Oh, you mean Miss Yoon?"

I nod, then I continue. "She got herself in trouble because of what happened... Will she get fired? I heard she only got her job just recently."

The doctor shakes his palms with his brows furrowed. "Oh, no. That's not necessary. Like you said, she's new here, and so we can't just fire her for what happened. Yes, she made a mistake, but at least, now shonenows just how it is exactly to work in a place like this... so no. You don't need to worry about her." He smiles reassuringly, and I smile back with a much smaller one. "So... Is there anything else you would like to tell me?"

"No, sir," I reply, and eventually he leads me out of the room, after which my nurse escorts me back to my room where she gives me my dose for the night.

It was only later into the night that I realize I haven't told him about the monster lurking behind me this morning...

Maybe I'll get the chance to do that later on.