Ch. 10: The Apple Doesn't Fall Too Far

• Y/N •

Changmin returned to the room much earlier than I expected him to. And by the time he did, the nurse that attends to me had been dealing with the cuts and bruises I sustained from my punishment earlier today.

Took him long enough.

"Hey. I heard you went around the place for the first time today. So? Found anything interesting?" I ask him, just as he settles back in his bed and the nurse that attends to me leaves the room.

To my surprise, he looks at me with a wide-eyed look. What?... Did he really think I'd keep ignoring him all day?

"I said, did you find anything interesting? If you're so glad that I'm finally talking to you again, then give me a response, then," I tell him, my brows slightly furrowing as I look at him.

His face eventually goes back to its resting position, but then he look away, and I notice he seems to be hesitating to speak.

"What is it?" I urge him.

He glances towards me again, then he lets out a sigh before he speaks, looking me straight in the eyes.

Now, there you go! That's how you're supposed to talk–

"Did you know your mother is in this institution, too?"

I freeze. And completely involuntarily. How? Why? What, just because he mentioned that crazy woman?

"And? I practically grew up here. Should that really be a surprise to me?" I ask him as I look away. I didn't really want to be looking at him right now, because I know he's obviously just gonna continue asking more questions.

"W-wait... So... Well, clearly you inherited... that..."

"Yeah, so what? It already happened anyway, and it can't be helped," I tell him, and in that moment, I pull my blanket over myself and turn to face the wall, away from my roommate. "Besides, it doesn't really change anything since I still ended up here anyway... I guess it's true what they say: the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

"But... she seems a little different from you..." He continues. And the way he talks is only annoying me more.

"Hey. If you've got a question, then just ask it directly. Do you expect me to try and understand it when all you do is mumble incomplete sentences?" I ask him. That ought to fix something. After all, I'm sure he isn't completely an idiot.

"Oh... I..." he stammers for a moment, but eventually, he speaks just as I expected him to. "... Your mother... She isn't just here for psychopathy, is she?"

It takes me a moment to respond.

Seriously, I never really liked talking about my mother. After all, she's the very reason why I turned out the way I am.

But if it means this kid will finally shut up about it, then I guess, there's no choice but to answer all his questions now.

"She has dementia... from what I've heard. She had it early, apparently, which means she's been here much longer than I have."

A sigh escapes me as I look ahead at the wall infront of me.

Right... Because the first time my symptoms appeared was eight years ago, back when I was still merely 15. And her... I guess she's always had it for as long as I can remember.

"Well, enough about that. What about you?" I ask Changmin as I turn around to finally face him again. He looks at me, and I raise a brow at him. "You must have some hunches as to why you have that condition of yours or something... Come on, tell me."

He looks at me blankly again, the same way he's always done whenever he seems hesitant or confused by my question. A second later, he looks away, and I notice his hands gripping his bedsheets as he swings his legs under his bed. "Well... I never really knew my father... But people around me always told me I got it from him. That's how it's always been for me as I grew up. Especially when things suddenly got worse as I was entering adulthood. So it must be true then, otherwise, how else would I have suddenly gotten schizophrenia? It is supposedly genetic, after all."

He looks back at me at the end of his little speech, and I just look back blankly at him.

I never knew he could talk so much like this. He even almost told me a whole story! The last time I was roomed with someone who talked just as much was... well...

I guess, I don't like talking about that person, either.

And I guess I'm getting tired of talking to Changmin now, too.

Without saying anything, I close my eyes, though my body remained facing him. I'm a bit too tired to turn again, after all.

"Y/N?" I hear him call my name, but I don't respond. "Y/N?" he calls again, much softer this time. Again, I don't respond, but that eventually becomes the last time he tries to get my attention. Eventually, I hear him speaking in a soft voice still as I hear shuffling from his side of the room. "Good night, Y/N."

Ha. But then again, that's Changmin, alright. Always trying. That's one thing that one former roommate of mine never really had...

Wherever she is, now.