21. You Lied

Elena's POV
I was currently in the courtyard still feeling giddy from Klaus' proposal but there was also the fact that Hope was dying. I ran my hand through the water when I heard footsteps.

"Niklaus— "Elena! Elena where are you?" I looked up "I'm down here" Klaus came walking down the stairs with Elijah following after him "get in the car! You and I are taking Hope on a little trip" I looked at him confusedly "are you out of your mind?" I walked over to them "yeah what Elijah said" Klaus spoke with urgency "she can sleep on the drive" "surely you heard Marcel" "he doesn't know anything!" Even tho Klaus didn't raise his voice you could still fill the anger.

"Ok well where will we be going?" "Hope's school knows how to deal with a wolf's first transformation. They have a facility" I was taken aback "wait you wanna go to Mystic Falls?" Klaus walked back up the stairs and Elijah and I followed him. "I hope you have a plan" I said following right after him.

"I do and while I execute it I need you to look after her. To—to make sure she doesn't exert herself." My brows furrowed "me? Klaus what are you going to do?" "It doesn't matter! I have until the crest of the full moon to save her life. We've defied the inevitable for a dozen lifetimes. I am not about to surrender to it now!" Klaus turned away from me so I followed him "Klaus I don't even know what that means!"

He stopped and it was so sudden that I walked right into him. "It means I need you to babysit Hope while I try and save her. Elena, please! I promise you once out daughters are safe we can finally focus on ourselves and I don't know run off into the sunset if you'd like" I hugged Klaus and he returned it "of course I'll help you save Hope. I just want to make sure what you're doing is going to be ok for everyone in the end" he gave me a small smile "I'm not going to leave you if that's what you think" he kissed my lips and then let go of me.

⚜️

"The diary of Stefan Salvatore" Hope looked up at me and I gave her a smile "we're not supposed to touch it but I practically have the whole thing memorized" I put my arm around her and stared at the diary entry. "You know based on what Stefan says dad is the Villian and our entire family are his evil little henchmen. I laughed "yeah well once upon a time I was writing diary entries about your dad being evil".

Hope smiled at me and walked away to the book shelf. "The Mystic Falls Files Volume One by Alaric Saltzman. In every story dad is the big bad wolf" she put it back annoyed and I sighed. She let out a groan and held her head falling forward "Hope? Hope are you ok?" I held her in my arms and she leaned against me. "I'm fine don't worry about me".

I held her face in my hands and looked at her in her eyes "oh Hope I'm always gonna worry no matter how old you get" she smiled at me. "Hey I know a place that makes the best burgers in town! Wanna get out of here?" Hope give me a suspicious look "I'll buy you a peanut butter blast" she smiled but rolled her eyes "fine" I kissed her head and we walked out.

We sat outside and Hope had a bemused look on her face "so why did you really bring me here? Is it to tell me that my dad has a heart of gold? Or was it to get my to spill my guts to you?" I rolled my eyes at her playfully "We're here because I really miss these burgers" she scoffed but I still heard the laugh she was trying to hide.

Hope picked up her burger and sighed "ok these burgers are pretty good" I smiled and took another bite of mine "see I told you!" I threw a fry at her and she picked it up from her red hair and ate it "still hot" "you're gross" I said throwing another one at her.

"So you lived here all your life, what was that like?" I sighed "well it's a small town so your business was everyone else's but it was also really great" Hope gave me a look that I couldn't quite make out "how come you never talk about you and Stefan?" I picked up my burger and ate some more of it. "Come on Aunt Elena! I hear he was your epic love and since you refuse to donate your diaries I only know you guys love story from Stefan's point of view" I bit me lip and sighed "ok but you promise this stays between us?" "Of course".