Chapter 1

The backstage wait felt longer than usual, a strange heaviness lingering in the air. Instead of the regular pre-show exhilaration, the band was met only with somber silence - save for the odd conversation that Freddy happened to be listening to rather closely.

"They're saying he was decommissioned, but I don't buy it." One of the supervising workers shoved his hands in his pockets as he spoke, a sure look on his face as he leaned in to his coworker. "Y'know, I heard Paul got on cleaning duty for Gator Golf and saw Bonnie lyin' all messed up on the floor."

Freddy tried not to sway his focus, but as the lift began bringing him up to the stage he couldn't fight the sense that something was off, especially as Monty came into view in his peripheral, dawning a bass that wasn't his.

-

The performance went well as usual, Freddy's normal programming helping him push away the lingering distraction of the alligator in the room.

After the stage lights dimmed, and the lifts lowered the animatronics back down, Freddy scanned the room for the rest of his bandmates. Before they could disperse to their dressing rooms, he walked slowly toward them, avoiding being seen by the workers backstage - and Monty.

"Chica, Roxy." Freddy continued to watch Monty until he left his sight. "Can we talk?"

Chica and Roxy glanced at each other before Chica nodded eagerly.

"Of course! What about?" Chica asked rather cheerfully. Freddy glanced around once more, paranoia getting the better of him.

"...Perhaps somewhere more private?"

Chica paused then nodded again. Roxy's eyes were fixed on Freddy, too.

"Long as you don't kill us," Roxy said flatly, in what Freddy chose to interpret as a joke.

Freddy started toward his dressing room, reassured by the mechanical footsteps following behind him.

Instinctively, he held the door open for his friends as they walked inside, though he didn't say a word. If Bonnie were here, he would've noted Freddy's unusual quietness. He couldn't think of a thing to say, feeling bombarded by the matter at hand.

After a moment of struggling to find his words, he spoke. "You both know the matter at hand. Bonnie."

The energy in the room soured quickly as Roxy and Chica both turned their eyes to the floor, and Freddy looked off at a poster on the wall.

"It... is not fun to discuss but-"

"What's there to be discussed?" Roxy cut in harshly. "He was decommissioned. End of story. It sucks, but that's how it goes."

Chica shifted, shooting a look at the wolf. Roxy rolled her eyes but quieted none the less as they both turned back to face Freddy.

"I understand that's what was said. However, why would Bonnie be decommissioned? The children all love him, he worked just as well as any of us. It doesn't make sense."

"What are you trying to say?" Chica questioned softly, her tone of voice revealing she already knew exactly what he meant. "You don't think..."

Freddy sighed, a momentary silence falling over the room. "I don't know. But... the circumstances are odd. And he was found in Monty Golf of all places." Looking at the ground, Freddy shook his head. His voice was weak as he spoke. "We all know how Monty can get sometimes. Maybe... Maybe Monty killed Bonnie."