Chapter Thirteen

I slammed into a rough chair, coughing. The bag was yanked off my head and I blinked at the light.

"This her?"

I didn't recognize the voice. A flashlight blinded me.

"Yep."

I recognized that voice. "Vince?"

The flashlight spun away.  Vince's face filled my vision.  "The one and only. Welcome back, Ari." His blonde hair looked dirty but his face was genuine, smiling. "We thought we'd lost you."

I gaped at him. "I thought-"

"Ari!" There was a commotion in the doorway. "Let me through, shuck face, or I swear to fuck-" Minho shoved the guard away and headed for me, eyes scanning my body for any injury.

I rose from the chair to let him know I was okay and then looked at Vince. "You got us all?"

"Every last one. But come on- the big boss is gonna want to meet you."

Minho put his hands on my shoulder, spotting my shredded cheek. "Are you okay?"

"I'm good." I squeezed his hand for emphasis. "Maybe try not to assault anymore of the guards?"

"I'd say I was sorry but I'm really not," he tossed those last words over his shoulder in the direction of the guard who scowled. 

I shook my head secretly thankful his antics were back.  Maybe it meant a semblance of normalcy was returning. 

We followed Vince through the doorway.  Newt and Thomas leaped up from their chairs upon seeing me.  "Thank god, Ari."  Thomas's voice was relieved.  

Newt's face split into a real smile.  "I knew we'd find you."  

"Yeah.  So what is this place?"

"This-" Vince spread his arms to the rafters, "is the official headquarters of the Right Arm.  And it's time for you to meet the boss."  He lowered his voice.  "Try not to stare."  

I glanced sideways at Minho who just shrugged and gestured for me to go first.  "Age before beauty."  

I swatted the side of his head as I walked past and he hissed.  I smirked, following Vince into the shadows.  We emerged on the other side of a tarp and clambered down a rickety staircase.  A raspy voice floated through the air.

"Rose got my nose, I suppose.  My nose, Rose got my nose.  I suppose.  My nose, my nose."  The voice cut off, hearing our approach.  Near the back of the space was a garden, roses in full bloom.  I blinked in surprise at the colorful flowers. 

There was a screech of wheels on metal and a rattling noise as the figure stepped into the light, dragging an IV bag on a cart with him.  I swallowed down my cry of alarm as I took in the man's face.  Or rather what was left of it. 

His nose was gone, a triangular gaping hole left instead.  The right side of his jaw and forehead were covered in growing lesions, the skin bulging and decaying.  I could smell his rotting flesh from where I stood.  He was a Crank and yet... he walked normally.  Acted still human. 

His voice came out nasally and rough.  "This is them?"

Vince nodded.  "Lawrence, meet the Munies. WCKD"s been hunting." 

Lawrence fixed his gaze on each of us in turn.  "So you're the ones WCKD has been making such a fuss over.  Don't look like much."  

Minho opened his mouth, probably to spit out some sarcastic remark.  I slammed my heel down onto his foot, hard.  His mouth snapped shut and he winced, glaring at me.  I shook my head at him.  Not a word.  He rolled his eyes but complied.  

Vince folded his arms.  "Don't be fooled.  These kids have survived more than you can imagine.   WCKD's put them through the wringer."  

"And then some," Thomas muttered behind me.  I couldn't help but agree.

"We just want to get out of here," Newt said.  "Make it to the Safe Haven.  And we need your help.  We know you have means of air transportation."  

Lawrence smiled.  Or at least tried to.  "Maybe I do.  Maybe I don't."

This was going nowhere.  "What do you want?"  I asked.  

Everyone turned to me.  Lawrence pointed at me.  "Finally- the first smart thing you lot have said yet."  

I tapped my foot.  Realization suddenly dawned on me.  "I can give you what you want the most.  in exchange for letting us use the Berg to get the hell out of here."

"And what is it that I want the most?"  Lawrence's voice rasped and echoed.  

I could feel my heart thumping in my chest.  "Time.  My blood can save you." 

It was silent behind me but I could feel the shock emanating from my friends.  Lawrence licked his lips.  "Is that so."

I shrugged.  "That's what we can offer.  Take it or leave it."  

Lawrence tilted his head back and a wet throaty noise escaped him.  A laugh, I realized.  He pointed at me.  "I like this one.  You've got yourself a deal."