two

“You’ve been listening to Sequoia High’s premier podcast. For teens, by teens, about teens. The only podcast recorded in a high school. At least as far as we’re concerned. School’s out, but can you listeners smell the scent the six hundred teens left behind? There’s nothing quite like the mix of hot Cheetos, body spray, and sweat. We seniors will miss it almost as much as you’ll miss us. But don’t you worry, next year’s podcasting class will be here to outdo us, or totally screw it up. Can’t wait to see which. Peace!”

Ms. Lee turned off the audio with a dramatic button push and then faced the class. She was petite, with large eyes that were even larger now in excitement.

“And that was last year’s very last episode,” Ms. Lee said. “You all have a lot to live up to. I know it’s the first day of school, but our audience is hungry. We’ve had more episodes downloaded this summer than in the previous two summers. Our podcast may be a toddler, just starting its fourth year, but it’s gaining momentum. It’s up to you all to keep that momentum going.”

Arin and I exchanged a look. This was too much drama for the first day of school. “What have you gotten me into?” I whispered.

Arin had begged me to take this class with her, as our required elective. She’d even filled out the application for me, telling me it would be amazing. And I guess Im the only boy here since half of the population in this class are girls. Arin said my voice is perfect for podcasting. “Podcasts,” she’d said, “are like instant entertainment in the palm of your hand. Prerecorded, downloadable talk shows on pretty much every subject in the world.”

She’d really said that. Like she had been hired by the inventor of the podcast to sell the concept far and wide. When I wasn’t buying, she’d added that I could learn soundboard or editing or some skill that I could use in my everyday life. It seemed better than pottery, so I gave in.

“Your assignment for this week,” Ms. Lee continued, “is to come up with our podcast topic for the year. Each of you needs to turn in one suggestion. Check the website as the topics come in, because first posted equals first claimed. I won’t accept repeats. We will vote from the entries. My only rules? The topic can’t be something previously done and it has to be teen-centric. After all, this is the podcast for teens, by teens, and about teens.”

A hand shot up to my right.

“Yes … ?” Ms. Lee looked at the seating chart she had filled in after we’d sat down at the beginning of class. “Sumin.”

“What were the other themes?”

“Ah, glad you asked. I’d hoped maybe you all had done your homework and caught up on previous years’ episodes, but alas, I expect too much.”

I hadn’t listened to any of the episodes, but apparently others had.

“I know all three themes from the last three years. I’ve been listening since freshman year,” a girl to my left piped up.

“Great … !” Ms. Lee scanned the seating chart again.

“Sieun,” the girl filled in for her.

“Sieun. That’s the kind of enthusiasm I like. Why don’t you come and write the topics on the board?” She held out the dry-erase marker and I thought maybe Sieun would say she’d rather not. That’s what I would’ve said. But she stood up and took the pen with confidence. She even narrated as she wrote.

“The first year they did inventions. They researched different inventions by teens and shared them on the show. They also let teens call in to talk about things they were working on, or failed inventions, which was entertaining.” Sieun turned around and smiled. “My favorite invention from that year was the Pick Your Outfit app.” I wondered if Sieun was in Drama. She seemed perfectly comfortable standing up there like she had prepared this presentation for the class.