Florence

River

"What do you mean you want to take a break?"

"I mean a break from us."

"What's wrong though?"

"I just need a break okay, please try to understand that," She sighs. 

"Hey we can talk about this when I get there okay? My flight is at 11:40, so I'll be there soon."

"I don't think that's going to help," She replies with a shaky voice. 

"What's going on Nicole?"

"I can't do this anymore okay? Goodbye River." Her voice breaks and I know she hung up. 

Did I just get dumped over the phone? And that too from a 3 year relationship? 

Wow. 

I sigh and run my hand through my hair. 

Did I do something wrong? 

I glance and see a coffee shop on my right. 

So what if I got dumped, I still have coffee yeah? 

I order an iced coffee and pay for it. 

If I'm being honest, I knew we were having problems. I just didn't realise that they were big enough to destroy our relationship. 

I find an empty seat near my boarding gate. 

As I place my bag beside me I notice the hunger games keychain my friend got me. 

Alex. 

We'd been friends way before I met Nicole, and they didn't exactly see eye to eye. Usually things were pretty calm between them but the last time I visited home, I could feel something was definitely off. Like they were hiding something from me. 

I decide to call him, considering my mind won't get any peace until I clear my suspicions. 

Is it bad to assume my best friend and girlfriend fucked while I was away? 

Definitely. 

But I'm not blind. I saw how Nicole flinched when their fingers touched accidentally. I saw how Alex looked at her during the movie when he thought no one was looking. 

"Hey man," he picks up. 

"Alex, did you talk to Nicole recently?"

"Maybe a week or 2 ago, why?"

"She said she needed a break." I let out a sigh. 

"A break? Doesn't she have a few weeks off anyways?"

I inwardly roll my eyes. 

"A break from us. She called me a while ago," I explain. 

"Oh."

"Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Did u sleep with her?" 

"…. "

"Alex?"

"…. "

I sigh at the lack of response from his side. 

"Look if you're not gonna say anything, I'm gonna take it as a yes."

"I'm really sorry River, it was an accident-"

I cut him off. 

"We'll talk about it later," I hang up. 

Assuming was one thing. Now that I know it's true, it just hit me like a ton of bricks.

Did 3 years mean nothing to her? 

"Please start boarding the plane. The gates will be closing in 10 minutes,"

The sound of something dropping catches my attention as I glance around to see a girl walking away. 

Was she sitting here the whole time? 

God I'm loosing my mind. 

A shiny pen on the floor catches my attention and I realise she must've dropped it. 

"Um I think you dropped this?" I tap on her shoulder lightly, holding the pen in my other hand. 

Her brown curls whirl around as she turns to face me. 

----