Agra

Alex

“I was actually gonna say you,” he smiles.

He’d pick me over his friend? A friend that no doubt betrayed him but still.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Even though you’ve known him longer than me?” I question.

“Time doesn’t always strengthen relationships Alex, sometimes it just weakens them.”

Just like my parents.

“You’ve just described the relationship between me and my parents,” I sigh.

“I’m guessing you aren’t on good terms with them?”

“Not at all. They’ve never supported anything I do. No matter what I do, it’s always lacking something.”

“Is that why you didn’t want to leave that day?”

“You could tell?” I ask.

“Alex, you were literally pouting since we got off the plane,” He chuckles.

“Oops, sorry?” I nervously chuckle. I didn’t realize I was being obvious.

“Don’t be, it was cute and entertaining to witness.”

I chuckle and sip my coffee.

“So what happened with that guy you mentioned before?” he asks.

“Oh well, I took your advice and went on a few dates with him.”

Dakota was overjoyed when I told him I’d give us a try.

“Really? Are you still together?”

“You’re making me sound like someone with ridiculous commitment issues,” I hmph.

“So it didn’t work then,” he chuckles.

How can he always see right through me?

“Nope, we realized it wasn’t going to work out pretty early on. The good thing that came out of it though was the much-needed closure,” I explain.

“And are you still friends with him?”

“Yeah actually. He’s getting married in a month and guess who the best woman is?” I grin.

“Is there actually a thing as best woman at a wedding?” he chuckles.

“The living proof is sitting right in front of you,” I glare.

“I don’t see a woman anywhere though,” he pretends to look around.

“River!” I exclaim.

Yes, I might be wearing baggy clothes but who doesn’t like baggy clothes, they’re comfy.

“I’m kidding,” he laughs.

“You better be.”

“So how’s photography working out for you?”

“Great actually, I got a chance to work on a small project with Cindy Sherman, a literal angel by the way, and it was amazing. My exhibition is in the works too.” I grin.

Working with her was one of my dreams and I couldn’t be happier that it came true. I even have a shoot with a model for The New Yorker magazine in a few days.

“That’s amazing Alex, do you have any pictures with you right now?”

“Of course.” 

“So are you flying to New York for another project?” he asks.

“Yupp. What about you?”

“My manager set up a shoot for the New Yorker. I’m trying not to show it but I’m actually pretty excited,” he rubs the back of his neck.

A model for the New Yorker? That sounds fun.

Wait.

A model for the magazine where I’m gonna be the photographer? 

Is River the model that I’m going to shoot?

Wow.

Fate sure does work in mysterious ways.

“What about you?”

“Mine is just a shoot for this new bakery,” I grin.

I cannot wait to see his face when he realizes.

“So do you have a picture of your friend Alex? I want to see if I can guess the reason why your ex picked him.”

“Sure,” He scrolls through his phone.

“This is a picture of us on Christmas Eve last year.”

“Oh yeah, I can definitely see why she picked him,” I joke.

“What why? Is it my dimples? Do girls not like guys with dimples? Also, you’re supposed to be on my side here,” he rants.

“I’m kidding River. Your face was priceless,” I chuckle.

“I don't believe you,” he turns his phone off.

“I’m serious. Girls like dimples, I don’t know any sane girl that doesn’t like dimples,” I reassure him.

He looks at me with no expression on his face. Then he suddenly leans in.

“What are you doing?” I ask as his face lies a hand’s distance from mine.

“What about you? Do you like dimples?”

----