The Morning After

Silence.

And then, the sound of a phone ringing. Startled, Norman wakes up and grabs his phone as fast as he can. His half-asleep mind answered, obviously not caring who it was on the other line.

"Hello?" He answers, his tone clearly drowsy.

"Hello? Norman? Where are you?"

He heard the familiar voice of his girlfriend, no, wife, Emma.

"What?"

"Where are you? I've been worried sick! You said you were going to dinner with your friend and I haven't seen you since! Do you know what time it is?"

"No."

"It's 1pm!"

Norman snapped out of his sleepy state once he heard the time.

"1pm?!"

"Yes!"

"Emma, I'm so sorry, I didn't notice! I just woke up!"

I'm his frenzy, Norman awoke the boy sleeping in the bed next to him. Ray looked at Norman with sleepy, confused eyes.

"Just woke up?! What about work?!"

"Right, fuck," Norman cursed under his breath as he quickly got up from the bed. He struggled to put his clothes back on while holding the phone to his ear.

"Norman?" Ray said as loud as he could, which was not loud at all. In fact, it was so quiet that Norman didn't hear it.

Or maybe he just ignored it.

And once he was dressed, he left the home with the slam of a door.

Suddenly, regret rushed through Ray's body. Was he just used for sex? And was he really just left the morning after? No words exchanged?

He pulled his blanket up to his chin and rolled onto his side. His eyes welled with tears at the current situation. He couldn't believe that Norman would leave him without a word the morning after they had sex.

He was in physical pain and felt as though he couldn't get up.

He was also experiencing emotional pain, but he didn't quite think it was valid. He figured that Norman did more than he had to since he was bathed and his sheets were washed.

But there was nothing he could do about the way he felt towards Norman leaving without a word.

But then again. He's left Norman without a word at an important moment as well.

Norman rushed back to the diner, where he thought he'd left his car. But when he got there, the parking lot was completely empty. He searched around the block, baffled. And when he couldn't find his car, he rushed back to the wedding chapel. Once again, he checked in the parking lot; and once again, it wasn't there.

He took an Uber back to his house. And when he got there, he noticed his car in the driveway. He sighed with relief before walking into his home, which he shared with Emma.

"There you are!" Emma ran into his arms as soon as she saw him. "I was so worried that guy had did something to you!"

"What guy?"

"The guy you said was your friend. Uhh- Ray? I think-"

"Why would Ray do anything to me?"

"He seemed like bad news. I didn't like him."

"But Ray-" Norman suddenly remembered the boy he left, practically immobilized, in the bed they shared last night. "Oh shit-"

"What?"