3. REX, THE DOG

Rex was a dog who no one seemed to love. He was not like other dogs, he was unable to bark. He had been that way since he was born. No one agreed to buy him and even when they did, they either returned him and asked for a refund or requested for another.

Everyday, Rex's owner would take Rex and other dogs to the market to put them up for sale. He would put them in a cage. People would pass and stare. Some would even approach the owner for their price. Some will buy after negotiating and Rex with the other dogs would be taken back at the end of the day. On and on, This went on. Others were bought, Jed wasn't. New dogs came in, Jed was still there.

One fateful day, A Passerby saw the dogs on display and had interest. He wanted a dog for security purposes, so he decided to approach the seller.

"HI. I'd like to purchase that one." He said pointing at Jed. After payment settlement, Rex was handed over to him. He put Rex in the back seat of his car and drove away. Rex was so excited that he was getting a new owner. He hadn't felt that happy for a long time. He wagged his tail and danced around. His new owner, Mr. Brown smiled when he noticed his excitement.

Rex arrived in his new home in the evening that day. He was taken out of the car and put in a cage next to the front door of Mr. Brown's house. Soon, food was brought to him. Rex didn't waste any time. He dived into it and rushed it. He hadn't eaten such in a really long time. It tasted so good.

Night came and everyone went to bed. During that night, Robbers entered into Mr. Brown's compound. Normally when dogs sense such presence, they would bark to scare off and alert others. Rex didn't. Mr. Brown, his family and his neighbor's were robbed that night.

The next morning, though Mr. Brown wasn't pleased with what had happened the previous night, he felt that it might. Have been because Rex wasn't used to the new environment yet. With that in mind, he decided to train him so that he would get used to the environment in no time..

Day 2 came and left, Rex still didn't bark. Up to day 7, Rex still wasn't barking. At this point, Mr. Brown was pissed. He just couldn't take it anymore. He put a call through to Rex's seller.

"I'd like a refund." Those were his words. His wife overheard his conversation with the seller. She wasn't happy with his decision. "Why don't we keep him and just get another one?" she asked.

Mr. Brown felt that since the purpose of buying Rex had been defeated, there was no need to keep him, so he replied her and said, "I'm afraid I can't do that. He needs to be returned and I need my money back! We need a security dog, not a bench warmer." With a frown on his face.

"I know that but let's just keep him. Don't worry. I promise, his feeding bill is on me." He reluctantly obliged to it. Few days later, a new dog was bought. It was put in the cage next to the front door and Rex was moved to a cage at the backyard.

Though Mrs. Brown promised to take care of Rex and actually fed him, he became thinner as the days went by. The kind of job she had made it impossible for her to be at home during the day, so she only had the chance to feed him only at night. Eventually, she traveled far away. Rex grew weak.

After Mrs. Brown traveled, no one fed Rex anymore. Bryce, Mr. Brown's son was playing basketball with his friend one day at the backyard when he noticed something. It was Rex. He didn't look okay. Bryce saw him and had pity on him. Later in the day, he approached his father and told him about how pale he looked.

"Dad, please let's take Rex to the hospital. He is not well." Immediately, his father rebuked him and said, "Never! I can't spend on a useless dog!"

Sad Bryce went back to Rex. He divided his meal into two and gave one part to him. He did the same thing everyday, he and Rex always ate his meals. Rex got back on his feet after sometime. He became robust and healthier than before.

One day, Bryce sat in his room. He looked very sad. Rex was there too.

"I don't know why dad has refused to buy me a bicycle when all my friends have one. He always does the same thing when I tell him I want something, it's like he hates me." He bursts into tears.

"oh Bryce, no one hates you." Came a voice. Hearing that, he stood up to check if his dad was already home. Rex followed him from behind. His dad wasn't home. He opened every door in the house and checked if anyone was around, no one was.

"Who was that?" Bryce asked. "it's me Rex" Rex walk up to him and saw his month moving. Rex was speaking! He could speak in actual words!

"Oh my God! What's happening?" Deeply surprised Bryce uttered. "You can talk?" he continued.

"Yap and I can do a lot more. I can make wishes come true." He said. Bryce was super excited. He couldn't believe his eyes and ears.

"Wow! Wishes?". He was curious. "Yes but it has its limits. I can only grant three wishes. Now, go ahead, wish away but remember, choose wisely." Now sitting on a chair. Everything still seems unbelievable to Bryce. "This is no mind blowing. I have to tell Fred and Dave. Oh my, they are going to be so excited." He starts running out to get his phone. "No, no, no. This ought to be a secret. You can't tell anyone about this. Come on boy, make a wish."

Bryce thought for a while. After so much thinking, he finally came to a conclusion about what he wanted. "I wish I had a Bicycle." That was the one thing he presently wanted. "are you sure?" Rex, the dog asked. "Yes." He replied. The bicycle immediately appeared in the room. Bryce was shocked beyond words.

"Alright, what's the other thing you want?" Rex who was now out of his seat, walked around the room. "Hmm... not now, I will wish for another later." Another day came, Bryce made a wish again and it came true.

Bryce made the last wish and it also came true. Bryce was so happy. He felt lucky to have Rex and was really grateful. Though he had exhausted all his wishes, Rex decided to help again. Rex was a really wise dog, he helped Bryce to make wise decisions. From then on, Bryce's life improved.