7. THE THUNDERSTORM

My family and I were on a visit to our hometown last year. We were going there for a paternal Uncle's Marriage and the holidays. The last time I visited home was when I lost my grandfather, so going there again was something I was earnestly looking forward to.

In no time, we arrived at our destination. As we passed through the streets, people could be seen going and coming. Some could be seen working, while some just sat down doing nothing. Everything was so beautiful to watch. The sounds heard, the busyness of people, the busyness of machines, everything was really fascinating.

Soon, we got to our family house. Though our Village is a small one, it is developed to a large extent. We have great water supply, beautiful houses, hospitals and fertile farmlands.

The next day came. It was time for the traditional marriage. We got ourselves ready and were set to hit the road. The weather didn't look friendly at all. As I looked at the weather, it wasn't looking friendly. "Daddy, Mummy. This weather does not look friendly at all. Why don't we stay back and wait for the rain to fall and stop? After all, we are going too early." Something in me just wanted us to stay back. "Relax, the rain will not fall. Maybe later in the day but, not now." This came from my mother who looked rest assured. With that, we drove off.

While we were contemplating about the weather, a really heavy wind began to blow. It was really heavy. It began lifting things off the ground. From wooden objects, to roof of houses, to machines, everything. I could see people running helter skelter, looking for places to seek shelter.

As I saw these people from the window, I was terrified. Even from inside my father's car, I could feel the intensity of the Thunderstorm. It was so severe that I was scared that it would rip our car off or even throw us away. Just as I was shivering in fear, our car stopped- in the middle of nowhere. God not this time, you've got to take the wheel. I silently prayed.

As if my prayer had been answered, the car began working again. "At this rate, I suggest we park this car somewhere safe. The impact of the Thunder and lightening is getting worse. We have to stop." My previously convinced mother ignored what she had previously said and suggested, we stopped. We started searching for a safe location as we moved further. Finally, we sighted one. It was a parking lot. Luckily, there was space for the car. So, we pulled over and stayed there, waiting for the episode of the Thunderstorm to come to an end.

Finally the rain and the Thunderstorm stopped. The rain had fallen for close to two hours (if not up to). My father started the car and we continued our journey to the marriage ceremony. You need to see the impact of the Thunderstorm, it was massive. Car accidents took place, some lost their lives and some survived. Roofs of several houses were destroyed too. I wondered how those people were going to sleep in there. Everything was really disheartening.

We got to the marriage venue in time though. The event had not yet started. The Thunderstorm delayed things. Moments later, the ceremony started, we all rejoiced with the celebrants and everything went on smoothly.