5. STUCK

Brooklyn Randall is hastily walking to her workplace. She’s late, again.
As she enters the building, she proceeds to the elevator.
She enters and as the elevator is about to close, someone quickly holds the door.
The person enters.
It’s Rita Smith.
She is there for an interview.
Brooklyn is not pleased to see her. Neither is Rita.
Brooklyn and Rita have always been rivals since high school. They were once close but they fell apart.
It all happened when they were in the 11th grade in high school. It was Rita’s birthday. Brooklyn didn’t call to wish her a happy birthday or even show up for her party. From then on, Rita stopped talking to her.
8 years later, they meet.
Both couldn’t wait for each to get to their destination.
As they were hoping earnestly for their heart desires to come true, something happened- The elevator stopped.
They were stuck in the elevator!
“Ahh! What is happening?” Rita wondered aloud.
Brooklyn was confused too.
They were both worried about not making it to their various appointments.
Another thing that hit their mind was- they were stuck in the same elevator! How long will this last? They both wonder.

******
At this time, Rita had become anxious. She was suffering from anxiety over being in limited space.
Suddenly, she faints and falls down.
Brooklyn is frightened.
“oh my God! Rita!! Rita!!!”  Brooklyn bends and calls out.

After a while…
Rita regains consciousness and stands up.
She dusts her clothes.
“are you okay?” Concerned Brooklyn asks.
Rita is uncomfortable.
“Yes” she says and backs Brooklyn.
“are you sure you are? Have you…” Brooklyn is interrupted.
“I said I’m fine! Stop acting like you care, it’s irritating.”
“I do.”
“please don’t! You didn’t care years ago, so please keep acting that way.”
“you never asked me what happened that day, did you?”
“did you at least try giving me a call? You know what, let’s not talk about this. You are fond of doing this- abandoning people and cooking up excuses. I was tired of you, I was tired of everything, so I closed chapter you years back. You want to tell me that you never knew that what you did would make me angry. I even went to your house to at least find out why you were absent from school. I knocked for hours but no one let me in. I felt stupid. I…”
“I was raped!”
Brooklyn bust into tears.
“I was raped two nights to your birthday by my foster dad. I ran away from home that night. My son is going to be 7 this year.”
“I ran away. I started leaving under the bridge, all by myself- trying to survive. During that period, I nearly gave up.”
“one day, when I was hawking, I met a woman. She was touched when she heard my story. She took me in. she became a mother to me.”
“she put me back in school. that woman has been taking care of me and my son like her own.”
“I lost your number. I would have called you. I’m sorry.”
“I’m so sorry. I never knew about this.” Rita said with so much pity.
“I wanted to call you but I didn’t have your number.” Brooklyn said, still crying.
“it’s okay. Come here.”
Rita goes over to hug her.
The elevator door opens.