Chapter 11

Sarah and Malia are standing by the lockers as Sarah talks to Malia about what she, Ethan, and Rory talked about the night prior

Sarah and Malia are standing by the lockers as Sarah talks to Malia about what she, Ethan, and Rory talked about the night prior. Malia wiggles her eyebrows teasingly at Sarah when she mentions her and Ethan in his room alone.

"Stop. Seriously, don't do that" Sarah says mortified. Malia compiles but pouts adorably at her. "Did Benny teach you that?"

"Yup. He's been helping me with a lot of things." Malia admits shamelessly.

"Oh?" Sarah inquired suggestively, her interest peaked. "Like what?"

"He calls it 'how to human 101'." Malia informs her

"Of course he does." Sarah replies, rolling her eyes and shaking her head exasperated.

"Are you even aware of what you are implying when you do that? Me and Ethan? Never." Sarah states, firmly. Malia just shrugs noncommittally, not really caring.

"Yeah, you're so out of his league." Malia agrees. Sarah looks at her amused. "What?"

"Benny, teach you what that means?" Sarah asks.

"I overheard him tell Ethan I was out of his league so I asked him what it meant." Malia explains. Sarah Guffaws.

"He must have been mortified," Sarah says through the laughter.

"His cheeks were so red but when I told him, he just said he's probably coming down with something." Malia tells her. Sarah snorts. Malia just looks at her bemused.

*Flashback*

"You should ask her out. Malia would totally say yes." Ethan tells Benny who's standing across from him, not knowing Malia is behind them and walking up to them.

"Are you kidding? She's so out of my league and that's saying something." Benny replies and Ethan scoffs at him.

"What does out of league mean?" Malia asks from behind them, scaring them half to death. They jump at her sudden appearance. The boys turn around to face her and are now standing next to each other. Benny's cheeks begin to warm.

"Your cheeks are like bright red right now." Malia observes and tells him bluntly.

"Wh- yeah I think I'm just coming down with something." Benny excuses.

"Yeah the love bug." Ethan mutters and Benny elbows him in the gut. He groans in pain and Malia half-heartedly asks him if he's alright. He gives her a thumbs up with a tight pained smile. She nods convinced.  

"Uh -it uh-it's a metaphor. it means like someone is too pretty or too good for someone." Benny explains the saying to her.

"Oh, so like how Sarah is out of Ethan's league." Malia says. "Did I use that right?"

"Yes."

"No."

"Exactly right!" Benny says after laughing at Ethan's offended face.