Imagine Twenty Seven

Shehnaaz winced, grabbing the door handle of the bathroom to pull herself off the ground and to her feet. She groaned, feeling a jolt of pain running up her right leg as she tried to take a step— walk out of the bathroom and into the bedroom.

Yeh bhi abhi hi hona tha She mumbled under her breath as she limped out. She was used to getting into accidents like this, falling and tripping was not unusual for how absurdly clumsy she was but this was not the time for her clumsy self to reappear.

It was a quiet, early evening and Sidharth was about to come back from a long and frustrating day at work. He had texted so infrequently the whole day that even his mother was worried. Shehnaaz knew today was not a great day work wise and here, she had sprained her ankle, having slipped on the wet bathroom floor.

Sidharth definitely didn't need another problem at home too.

Somewhere at the back of her mind, Shehnaaz knew that she was not a problem for Sidharth but she was still reluctant about bothering him.

Besides, it was just a sprain, wasn't it? She could just bandage herself up a little and no one would know.

At least she hoped so as she applied some pain-relief gel on her slightly swollen ankle. A few minutes later, Shehnaaz walked out of the room, trying her best not to limp noticeably and saw Rita Maa walking out of hers, the two ladies smiled at each-other before Rita Maa walked over to the bookshelf and settled herself on the couch with a thick book.

"Chehre ka rang kyon uda hua hai tera?" She asked curiously. "Tu theek hai na baccha?"

Shehnaaz gasped softly, Maa toh chehra dekhte hi samajh gayi kuch hua hai. She smiled, trying to damage control.

"Mujhe kya hoga, Maa. Woh kamre me na AC chalana bhool gayi thi mai, toh thoda ajeeb lag raha hai, garmi hai na." Shehnaaz explained, walking over to her side.

Rita Maa frowned, not really convinced. "Pakka?"

Shehnaaz nodded. "Haan baba. Punjab se aaye itna time ho gaya, par woh mausam nahi choot raha."

"Chootna bhi nahi chahiye, baccha." Rita Maa said fondly. "Teri mitti hi toh tujhe banaati hai, na?"

Shehnaaz smiled.

Rita Maa reached over and ran her fingers through the younger girl's hair. "Chai piyegi?"

"Yeh banayegi na Maa, iske haath ki kadak adrak waali chai peene ka mann hai." Sidharth said, walking into the room. He plopped on the couch next to Shehnaaz and for a short few seconds, buried his face into her shoulder.

Shehnaaz chuckled softly, and patted his head awkwardly, her hand twisted at an odd angle. "Bad day, baby?"

"One of the worst. Horrible." He confessed. To the world, Sidharth may be a strong angry young man but only his own people knew who he truly was. Soft and childish.

"Mera baccha.." She sighed as she felt his whine rumbling through his chest. "Chai banau?"

Sidharth nodded, pulling away from her and kissed her cheek. "Thank you baby.."

Shehnaaz shook her head, "Formality kar raha hai mere saath?" She asked curiously. "Ja mai nahi banaati chai."

Sidharth pouted. "Nahi. Ja! Merko chai chahiye!" He said firmly.

Shehnaaz chuckled, standing up from the couch and stumbled slightly barely holding back a yelp of pain as her sprained ankle sent a shooting pain up her leg.

How could she have forgotten? Sidharth sat up on the couch, alert and Rita Maa abandoned the book she had been reading, looking at Shehnaaz concerned.