16

Stiles was frustrated with the mechanic for toying with his Jeep. It had been going on for awhile. "Hey! Hey? Wh- what do you think you're doing? All I needed was a starter."

The mechanic nodded. "Yeah, but it looks like your whole exhaust system has got to be replaced here."

Stiles frowned. "Why do I get the feeling you're slightly over-estimating the damage?"

The mechanic shrugged. "It's probably gonna run you around like $1200 parts and labor."

Stiles ran a hand through his hair. "Are you kidding? This thing doesn't have a catalytic converter. And yes, I know what a catalytic converter is."

"Do you know what a limited slip differential is?"

"No--" Stiles began.

The mechanic interrupted him. "Yeah, coming on more like $1500."

"Okay. Just finish. I'll be back here, seething with impotent rage!"

Stiles ran his hands up and down his arms. "$1500. I can't afford that, Melanie."

Melanie smiled. "You'll figure it out. You always do."

Something caught her eye. "Hey, what's on the door?" She touched it and fell to the ground.

Stiles walked over to the door handle and also touched it as he said, "Oh. Nice. It's real sanitary. Quality establishment you're running here."

He fell to the ground and muttered, "Figures."

"Stiles, what's going on?" Melanie asked worriedly.

"I don't know. I'm gonna call the police."

Stiles struggled to get his finger on his phone so he could dial 911. He managed to and said, "No. Hey. Hey! Hey! Uh."

The mechanic was under the Jeep and there was a reptilian figure with beady yellow eyes. The Jeep began falling and the mechanic began begging for his life. "Help me. Help me. Help! Help -- Help me. Help me. Help me."

Then, all fell silent. The Jeep had fallen on the mechanic, killing him. Melanie closed her eyes, trying to forget the horror of what she had just seen.

The operator finally answered. "911, what's your emergency?"

Eventually, the police showed up. Sheriff Stilinski looked down at his son. "What happened you two?"

Stiles gave a small shrug. "I told you, I just -- we just walked in and saw the Jeep on top of the guy, that's all."

"What's wrong with your hand and Melanie's arm?"

"Nothing. Can we just get out of here now?"

"Look, if there's something you don't think you can tell me-"

"You think we're lying?" Melanie asked in a frustrated tone.

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "No, of course not. I'm just worried about the two of you. Now, if you saw someone do this, if you're afraid that maybe they're gonna come back and make sure you don't say anything about it-"

"We didn't see anything," Stiles interrupted. "At all. Can we go now please?"

"Sure. But not in your Jeep. We're gonna have to impound it. Sorry kid, evidence. I'll see you at home. Take Melanie home."

"All right, well, at least make sure they wash it."

Instead of going home, Stiles and Melanie met up with Scott and he looked at them with concern. "You okay?"

Stiles and Melanie nodded as the former said, "Yeah. You were right. It's not like you. I mean, its eyes were almost like, reptilian. But there was something about him."