00

Derek pulled up outside the charred Hale house and let out a sigh. He never thought he'd come back, but here he was.

He glanced at his younger sister and sighed, wishing he didn't have to tell her the news. He shook a sleeping Melanie's shoulder and she mumbled softly as her eyes opened.

When she saw the house, she frowned. "Derek, what are we doing here?"

"Remember when I told you Laura sounded scared?"

"Yeah... Derek, is she okay?"

He shook his head. "No, she isn't. She's dead, Mellie."

"Dead?" Melanie whispered. "No, she can't be. I-I talked to her yesterday. Derek, she can't be dead!"

Derek gave her a sad smile as he pulled her into his arms. "I'm sorry. I'd give anything to tell you something else."

Melanie pulled away and grabbed her backpack. She put it on one of her shoulders as she slammed the door and stalked towards the house.

Derek stayed by his Camaro, taking a moment to acknowledge Melanie's chemosignals. She smelled of sadness and rage.

He didn't blame her for either emotion.

As he walked into the house, Melanie looked up from her chair and said, "Am I going to have to go to school?"

"Yeah, you are. I'm not gonna get in trouble for having my teenage sister staying home when she should be going to school."

"You know if I go to school I'm gonna have to see him, right?"

"You got along with Scott and Stiles."

"Well yes, but I've been gone for six years. What if he doesn't remember me?"

"Mellie, I'm sure he remembers you. It'd be hard to forget you."

"Are you actually giving me a compliment?"

A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. "It's late. You should get to sleep."

Melanie nodded and found a spot to sleep. Almost immediately, her eyes closed and her breaths soon evened as she fell into a semi-peaceful sleep.