21

Melanie sat on Allison's bed as she watched Lydia and Allison pick out outfits for the party that night. "Clear your schedule. This could take awhile."

Melanie nodded. "She's not lying."

Lydia shot her a look as Allison asked in a shocked tone, "How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

Lydia shrugged lightly. "It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, then, mm, after hours casual."

"I noticed that you didn't send out any invites."

Lydia let out a small scoff. "It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everyone knows."

Allison frowned. "I was wondering if maybe this year things, you know, might be different."

"Why would anything be different?"

Allison thought for a moment before saying, "Just cause things have been off lately. Things and people. Like Jackson."

Lydia raised a brow. "What do you care about Jackson?"

"Do you know if he's coming?"

Lydia rolled her eyes. "Everyone's coming. This one's American rag." She held it up to Allison. "Mm, I love it. For me, not you. This is for you, Ally. I call it skater party girl. This one's material girl. It's for you. Mrs. Argent. What do you think of this one?"

Allison's mom gave a half-smile. "Oh, it's lovely. Allison, uh, can I grab you for a moment to talk? Just the two of us."

"Um, can we do it later?" Allison asked rudely.

"Actually, uh, to be honest, sooner would be -- would be better." She caught sight of Melanie and her eyes narrowed slightly.

"Party's at ten," Lydia informed.

Allison's mom sighed. "Um, will you be around before then?"

"I think so," Allison admitted.

"You think so."

"I don't know."

Allison turned back to Melanie and Lydia. "You think so?"

Lydia sighed. "Oh, I guess that black one would fit. All right, here you go. No, it's too much."

Allison smiled. "I think I like it."

Lydia looked excited. "You like it?"

"Yeah, no, I do. Happy birthday."

Melanie nodded. "Happy birthday. I can't be here." She stood and walked to the door.

Lydia smiled back. "Oh thank you. I actually appreciate that. Melanie? Is everything okay?"

Melanie stared at Allison and said bluntly, "No."

As Melanie left the house, she received some texts from Stiles informing her of some important information.

From: Stiles

Because we saw the car outside the rave, we have to give a statement.

From: Stiles

The coach of the 2006 swim team is Isaac's dad.

Melanie nodded slowly and mumbled, "Great."

Ten o'clock rolled around and she met up with Scott and Stiles. Though she actually met up with Stiles on the opposite side of the door. He was lugging a huge present of stuff he and Melanie had gotten for Lydia. "Happy birthday! Yeah! Coming in. Oh, whoa. Can't. Okay. You know, you don't -- can you just grab that side, maybe? Melanie , I know you're there. Help?"