Volume 41: King of the Giants

Arriving near the platform of the giant double doors, Kitsune and his party climbed down Tonky and approaches the giant doors.

Once they do, Sachi notices a small frown on her daughter's face as she sat upon Kitsune's shoulder.

Sachi: Yui? What's wrong?

Yui turns her face towards Sachi.

Yui: Mama, can I tell something?

Sachi: Yes, you can, Yui.

Kitsune: Do you have something on your mind, Yui?

Sachi and Kitsune looked towards their daughter with a smile as Yui looked at both of them before she ascended and stood in front of everyone else.

Yui: Well, this is just a hypothesis... But in one respect, ALfheim Online differs greatly from the other The Seed Project VRMMOs.

The Cardinal System operating the game is not a stripped-down version. It's a copy of the full-spec version used in the former Sword Art Online.

Kirito: Full Specs?

Yui: The original Cardinal System had a function for an auto-generation system for quests. By its networks, it gathered traditions and legends from all over the world and used or rearranged terms and story patterns from them to generate infinite quests.

Kitsune: auto-generated quests that the Cardinal System creates?

Yui: Yes, Papa. From the way that NPC was acting, it is likely.

Kitsune: What does this mean, Yui-chan?

Yui: What it means is, depending on how the story plays out, it could go all the way to the myth's end.

Kirito: To that extent...?

Yui: According to the data in my archives, this quest and ALO itself are based on Norse mythology, which culminates in a so-called
'Final war.'

Kitsune: Ragnarok...

Everyone looked at Yui shocked at this news of the event.

Yui: Not only will the frost giants invade from Niflheim or Jotunheimr but flame giants from an even lower level, Muspelheim, will appear and burn down the entire World Tree...

Yuna: Ragnarok, the Twilight of the gods.

Leafa: No way. There's no way a game system would destroy its entire map.

Leafa mutters in disbelief as Yui shakes her head.

Yui: An original Cardinal System has the access level necessary to destroy an entire map. Because the original Cardinal System's last task was to destroy the floating castle, Aincrad.

As Yui finishes, everyone begins wearing frowns.

Leafa: No way.

Lizbeth: My shop...