Chapter 22- The Truth

"And one two three four, five six seven eight." Mark counted out as Bethany and himself danced a little section of their salsa.

"Ok good. So, I was wondering how you feel about a little lift?" Mark asked rubbing the back of his neck.

"Uhh... Define little?" Bethany laughed awkwardly.

"Cartwheel across my legs?"

"To hell with it! If I can trust Derek to swing me around, I can trust you... Right?"

"Right. Ok, come on let's get to it." Mark clapped his hands together.

"Hey Mark?"

"Yeah?"

"Has Derek ever... Nevermind." Bethany shook her head taking a sip of water

"Has Derek ever what?"

"Nothing.."

"Tell me."

"It's not important"

"Then it should be easy to tell me then!" Mark argued.

"Well, it's stupid!" Bethany sighed.

"Beth... What's up?"

"Has Derek.. Ever brought up marriage."

Mark almost choked on his water at those words slipping out of Bethany's mouth,

"Uh, why do you say so?"

"I don't know... We've been together for 3 years and he's never even brought up the idea. And the other day I found a little black velvet box hidden in his drawers and it turned out to be earrings and I don't know. I'm just... Apart of me was disappointed. I don't know. I actually thought he was going to propose..." Bethany rolled her eyes at herself and looked down.

"Beth.."

"I don't know! I just feel like. I'm ready to settle down. And he still doesn't take this relationship seriously sometimes."

"I'm sure everything will work out. How about we take a few minutes." Mark suggested walking out of the studio... Fast.

"Uh..? Ok?" Bethany agreed confused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok, so remember you can't lift your feet in the tango, it's a very technical dance. So it's going to be very different from what you've done so far." Derek said stopping the music

"Ok. Let's do it again." Sadie demanded.

"Ok, but I want to-" Derek got cut off

"Hey Derek can we talk?"

The two turned their heads towards the door to see Mark.

"Sure, I'll be right back." Derek said to Sadie walking towards the door.

"What's up?" He asked Mark.

"You got Bethany the ring right?"

"Yeah."

"Then what black box did she find the other day?"

"It was the ring, but I covered it up. I bought some earrings and put it in the same box."

"Maybe you should've just proposed then and there." Mark said.

"Why?! I want to make it perfect!"

''Is perfect worth putting Bethany through the wait? Is it worth her doubting your commitment to her?"

"What are you talking about? She's perfectly fine with not rushing anything."

"Derek, three years is not rushing it."